mechanical oil pressure gauge

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

mechanical oil pressure gauge

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:02 pm

Was thinking about picking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge for my break in and for future troubleshooting. Besides the gauge what else do I need? I was thinking I might need this to get the gauge out ot the tin.

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/p ... 340&page=1

Here's the gauge I was looking at:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproduc ... 0672112433

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: mechanical oil pressure gauge

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:56 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Was thinking about picking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge for my break in and for future troubleshooting. Besides the gauge what else do I need? I was thinking I might need this to get the gauge out ot the tin.

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/p ... 340&page=1

Here's the gauge I was looking at:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproduc ... 0672112433
My Mercedes 450 has the pneumatic oil pressure gauge, it is bulletproof reliable and accurate. . . reads in bar increments. Sender is tidy and compact.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:27 am

I found an Equis (spelling?) gauge at a Carquest that maxes out at 80 psi and found it easier to read than the old one I had that went to 100.
I doubt you'll peg an 80 psi gauge in an ACVW.

Rob

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:40 am

Can I get something at a local shop that will thread into the oil pressure sender hole?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:20 am

chitwnvw wrote:Can I get something at a local shop that will thread into the oil pressure sender hole?
Take the issue into your own hands. Use your old sender as a guide.
The original senders are tapered threads (which means over-tightening can crack the case) whatever you find may not, in which case a good copper washer will be necessary.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:49 am

I ran over to Auto Zone on my lunch hour and they had a couple of mech. oil gauges. What size is the oil pressure sender hole. I seem to recall it's tapered like a pipe plug...

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 am

chitwnvw wrote:I ran over to Auto Zone on my lunch hour and they had a couple of mech. oil gauges. What size is the oil pressure sender hole. I seem to recall it's tapered like a pipe plug...
It's the metric equivilant to 1/8" npt. The replacement VDO senders you get are 1/8 npt also. I made my own adapter and used 1/8 npt and it worked fine.

You'll notice that this http://germansupply.com/home/customer/p ... 340&page=1 is listed as "Out Of Stock". I don't know where else to get it. But you can use a 6 inch 1/8 npt brass pipe and female x female connector to attatch it.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:08 am

Really, the 1/8" fitting will work? There was 1/8" fitting and nylon hose with the gauge, I'll give a go.

I was reading on the samba about a guy who was going to run a mechanical gauge on his dash and they were talking about having to prime the hose first with oil? Anyone know anything about this?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:27 am

chitwnvw wrote:Really, the 1/8" fitting will work? There was 1/8" fitting and nylon hose with the gauge, I'll give a go.

I was reading on the samba about a guy who was going to run a mechanical gauge on his dash and they were talking about having to prime the hose first with oil? Anyone know anything about this?
1/8" will work. Just don't over tighten it and crack or strip anything.

For this short legnth priming is not really a must. You can do it if you want. Just fill the hose with oil. If you were mounting it in the dash, you would definitely need to prime the 15 feet of hose required to make it to the dash. But were talking 6" - 1'.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:03 pm

You're the man! Thanks.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:45 pm

Priming the hose only slows the reading's reaction time to changes in oil pressure because it has to slide that long, skinny slug of thick oil back and forth in the hose as pressure rises and falls. It's best to leave the air trapped in the hose and let the oil column push into it as far as it wants to, which compresses the air, and then the gauge really just reads the air pressure at the far, gauge end of the hose.
The gauge doesn't know the difference between 20 psi of air and 20 psi of oil pushing against it's diaphragm...And the air and oil pressure that's trapped inside the air-tight hose will equalize and be the same.