Accelerator Pedal Assembly Diagram

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Accelerator Pedal Assembly Diagram

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 am

My gas pedal broke off the floor pan a millenia ago and the PO used a door hinge bolted to the floor and pedal to "fix" the problem. I drove the bus over 3yrs before it finally blew up end of last year at which point driving with bare feet and using your toes to feather the pedal up and down was the only way to get from A to B :)

So I got this kit in from BusDepot

Its missing one of the c-clamp things, but I can deal.

The only problem is I have no stinking idea how to assemble the thing as I never had a legit pedal and underneath assembly in the first place. I've looked in Bentely, Muir, Haynes and two other odd ball books I have but could't find a pedal blow-out image in ANY of them. Some pieces I know go certain places so here is what I know, maybe somebody can look at theirs and explain or take a picture of theirs.

The pedal obviously sits in the new hinge I have and the new pin shown just to the pedals left is the axle for that piece. I use the c-clamps for either end to keep it on. Now on the underside of the pedal there is a hole where the long rod to the pedals right snaps into. Disc welded to that piece keeps the pedal from going too low and the boot slides over that.

What confuses me is how to orient the L shaped hinge. The small rod in the bottom left has a spring that slides onto it and a hole for the pin shown to go through it, but where does the cable attach, the pedal piece attach and the other rod attach. I seem to have 4 holes in the hinge (I'm guessing I only use 3) but I only have 2 rods to fill those holes? And how does the spring and short rod work under the bus?
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:38 pm

I'm afraid that flimsy kit is pretty hopeless. I got it too and never figured it out and I think that the holes in my floor were just not in the right place. The ball joint thing that connects the L-shaped piece to the pedal kept popping out. So I used the two washers and reused my old pedal. I would see if Karl or Ken (thebusco) has a good used one rather than struggling with that plastic thing.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Yeah, I'm wondering on it too. I will probably still see if I can get it to work since its better than nothing and just stay on the look out for more original parts as I run across them.

I'd expect it to be better than the garbage I had in the bus before but probably nothing that will last for a very long time.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:19 pm

Bentley has a pretty good diagram of what it's supposed to look like... Couldn't tell you if the kit has any relationship to the diagram in Bentley though...

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:19 am

I must be blind. I've looked through the Bentlye, Muir, Haynes and a couple others and never found the accelerator pedal assembly only the brake pedal.

Looks like its gonna go in fine though. Might have to fabricate a little bit of stuff, but as I run across more OG parts I'll probably pick them up.
63 Gulf Blue Notch