Any QUALITY taillight buckets out there?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Any QUALITY taillight buckets out there?

Post by DurocShark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:57 pm

I was changing the bulbs in the Guac, and the taillight buckets are gray powder. Little structure left. I ended up using some liquid plastic to put some pieces back together.

I remember Richard Atwell had some pics of various aftermarket ones, but can't find 'em. And that was a couple years ago anyway.

I had the Brazilian aftermarket ones in the GWB but the quality was horrid. But I may end up getting those anyway unless someone has some suggestions.

EDIT: I didn't think to take pics of the Guac's buckets, but they were only slightly better than the GWB's:

(Gotta admit, that's a pretty ingenious hippy fix!)

Here are the aftermarket ones I got for the GWB:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Yah, mine are all crumbly too. All my light seals have moss type stuff growing on them. I've gotta think that Arizona and New Mexico are the place to dreg up the good buckets (it's a dry heat), the lenses I've heard the color fades quick on the aftermarket ones...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:11 pm

I got the grey tail lamp housings from Bus Depot. They work. But you do need to treat them gently as you install, I had one of the four mounting studs start working loose at very little torque. I am going to put the little gap in the taillamp lens-to-housing seal along the inner side next time. I put it at the very bottom center of the rectangle thinking it would allow any water entry to drain, but I think it takes up road splash.
Colin
(good time to install aluminum tape to brighten up the illumination, adhesive will stick better without dust or crumbling plastic)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:48 am

The "To Do" list gets longer and longer, and the there's the honey do list on top of that...

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:29 pm

The aftermarket one (used to be a pair) I've got was a PITA to get installed, had to shave the crap out of the edges with a razorblade until it fit in teh hole -- and mine's never been hit in the corners. One developed a defective bulbholder on the turnsignal portion and has since been replaced with a fairly decent used Hella.

The ones I got were EMPI-branded .. not that it matters much, the *cheap* aftermarket crap all comes off the same boat anyway. Hell, one of my aftermarket front T/S lenses has a nice ripoff of the Hella logo that says "Hema" inside. :pukeleft: