lack of lubrication

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

lack of lubrication

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:07 pm

I forgot to put a light coat of lube on the driveshaft before I mated the engine and tranny. Do I risk damaging anything if I don't pull them apart to do this? It seems like the splines mate and there's no friction between the driveshaft and the crank so I'm not sure what the function of the lubrication is...

Also was I supposed to lubricate anything on the throw out bearing????

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:47 pm

If you remembered to put a little dab into the pilot bearing I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Bill

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 pm

Yes! I did that! Time to knock off, then. :sleepy2: I wasn't looking forward to pulling that engine back off, the '73 is pretty basic as far as hooking all that stuff up and what not, but still...

Carbs on tomorrow, if everyone can cross there fingers or knock on wood.

jberger
Getting Hooked!

Post by jberger » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:31 pm

The purpose of the grease is to lube the movement of the clutch disk on the input shaft, as the plate "floats" on the shaft every time the pedal is depressed.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:38 pm

I'm still having a hard time grasping exactly what happens in there. How does the spinning crank line up with the driveshaft and all those little splines....

I can't imagine putting more than 1000 miles on this engine before I drop the engine and trans again to do a refresh and clean up of the trans. I just want to know what to expect if I let it go that long.

jberger
Getting Hooked!

Post by jberger » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:05 pm

It is fine... the input shaft engages the crank @ the pilot bearing... the splines only interact with the clutch disk. You would be fine for 100,000 miles probably. It is just generally good practice to put a small amount of grease on the clutch alignment tool prior to inserting it into the disc. You should allways put a pinky finger sized amount in the pilot bearing itself.