Winter storage and the new gasoline.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Winter storage and the new gasoline.

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:35 pm

What has anybody heard? Ive heard, store empty because the alcohol will absorb moisture out of the air and cause corrosion and turn to pudding in the fuel system. I've also heard put some sta-bil init and fill er up. Any thoughts?

Bill

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:32 pm

My thoughts? ...We've (I've) been using 10% ethanol here in the corn belt regularly since the '80s. All vehicles. All seasons. Vehicles that sit for long periods unstarted and vehicles that get driven daily...
Don't worry about it. Fill 'er up and Sta-bil if it's going to sit.
The alchohol in it is about the same thing as adding a fuel system dryer like Heet. That's my 2 cents worth. (No, I am not a stockholder in an ethanol company. :geek: )
Rob

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:41 am

Hippie wrote:My thoughts? ...We've (I've) been using 10% ethanol here in the corn belt regularly since the '80s. All vehicles. All seasons. Vehicles that sit for long periods unstarted and vehicles that get driven daily...
Don't worry about it. Fill 'er up and Sta-bil if it's going to sit.
The alchohol in it is about the same thing as adding a fuel system dryer like Heet. That's my 2 cents worth. (No, I am not a stockholder in an ethanol company. :geek: )
Rob

What he said.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:34 am

start the engine once a week or so and apply a battery float charger if your battery drains after some period of time. Harbor Frieght has them for $5.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:54 am

Yeah they started using 10% alcohol this summer and the boats were have trouble with it absorbing water and turning to jelly. Some say the jelly was from mixing with the old gas with MBTE in it. Just don't want any issues with the buggy next spring.

Bill

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:29 pm

It wasn't the old MTBE gas if it's the same as road grade pump gas. Ethanol user have always mixed ethanol and non-ethanol randomly.
I don't know why it's been a problem in boats unless maybe if there's water standing in the bottom of the tank.
Rob

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:06 pm

The past 5 winters I have done the same thing: Fill with a full tank of gas, then add recommended amount of stabil, drive for about 10 minutes, and store. I usually store the bus in the garage from mid november until the salt is gone which is usually around mid to late april in chicago. Never had any problems, has always started right up.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:48 pm

What's this winter storage thing??? :geek:

Yeeeee haaaaaaaaa NW winters!!!!!!! (as mold develops on my spectacles) :cheers:

:flower:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:41 am

My Bus Will go out this winter ,but my Buggy sits for most of the winter. The Bus has to go out this winter. My 16 year old daughter gets her license this winter. She's getting my big ole Merc Gran Marquis. Nothin like a huge piece of Detroit iron to protect a rookie in the winter. My ex ( her mom) tried to argue against it but finally saw the logic. Lots of steel, dual front airbags, 4 wheel disc brakes, new tires brakes and shocks, poor gas mileage to keep the kid from just cruising all over creation, Etc....
The Buggy goes out sometimes, like after a rain from the south that washes the salt off the roads and brings some warm air up with it.

Bill