Howdy to any Split Bus owners

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

amishman
Addicted!

Howdy to any Split Bus owners

Post by amishman » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:25 pm

I figure I will post a few howdy messages in the groups for vehicles I own. This site so far seems to be for Bay owners but I do not own a Bay, but a 1960 Single Cab that I am in the process of working on to get road ready again. Plan is to rebuild a stock 40HP engine for it as I am a stock kind of person. Click my WWW button below to check out my VWs if you have the time.

tj (the amishman)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Howdy to any Split Bus owners

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:14 pm

amishman wrote: This site so far seems to be for Bay owners but I do not own a Bay, but a 1960 Single Cab that I am in the process of working on to get road ready again. Plan is to rebuild a stock 40HP engine for it as I am a stock kind of person.
We welcome any air-cooled VW owner to join us on this site.
If you want to refer fellow splitty owners on over here,
it will be your opportunity to jump-start this forum.
I ask that you choose your companions with an eye out for people who appreciate all air-cooled VWs and their owners :smt032
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:15 am

Did any year Split Window use a Moustach or engine support bar for upright engine and when was the 40hp stopped ??

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:09 am

Elwood wrote:Did any year Split Window use a Moustach or engine support bar for upright engine and when was the 40hp stopped ??
I do not know about your moustach question but as for 40HP engines in a splitty, I believe 1964ish is when the 40HP stopped. I am not 100% on that but pretty sure. I believe 40HP started as Stale Air models in 1960 and ended as fresh air models in or around 1964.

I have been collecting 40HP parts for a future restore on my 1960 Single Cab. Will be my 1st engine rebuild.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:35 am

Funny site Amishman, Thanks for input about "Splitties" I have a "HUGH"
task to save a '64 thats been under my wing for over 10 yrs. Long story but will be a happy ending Im sure. Have had many in my far past and really don.t want to ask for help on other site. I will be posting picts soon and absolutly love all vw's also. This one is in a really remote storage yard and next place will be a head hunter or salvage smash yard --- I can,t let either happen so

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Mustache bar came with the baywindow models. All splitties hang the engine off the transaxle.
Colin
(you familiar with the modified 36 vs true 40 hp, Elwood?)

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Mustache bar came with the baywindow models. All splitties hang the engine off the transaxle.
Colin
Thanks Colin, It has been a long time for me and splitties and I never delt with a engine replacement. No I don,t know the diff between the 36 and 40 to look at them. I sent you a couple of pics in your email of the engine and my passion bus to save.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:17 pm

Elwood wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Mustache bar came with the baywindow models. All splitties hang the engine off the transaxle.
Colin
Thanks Colin, It has been a long time for me and splitties and I never delt with a engine replacement. No I don,t know the diff between the 36 and 40 to look at them. I sent you a couple of pics in your email of the engine and my passion bus to save.
I am sorry and stupid. ACDSee8 is having a fight with this laptop that I have not yet settled. Post your pictures here if you can.
Colin