accelerator cable

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

accelerator cable

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:33 pm

Can someone give a brief explanation, or point me some instructions on how to install the accelerator cable. It doesn't seem like it would feed through the sheath with the, I don't know what they are called, but the metal thingys that are attached at each end of the cable.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:13 pm

I just looked all over ratwell's site for something and came up dry....I have an auto...the location is the same I would think, up until the trany that is.

I will keep my eyes peeled.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

fukengruvenoval
I'm New!

Post by fukengruvenoval » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:32 pm

I've never had a problem with any VW feeding the cable. Start at the pedal end and feed the barrel that attaches to the carb or FI from the pedal area back to the engine compartment. I usually put some grease in my left hand and feed the cable through my hand as it is going into the tube so the cable is well lubricated. Once in a while you may have to back it up a bit or give it a slight shake or turn to help it on its way through.

Sometimes (on bugs anyway) it will get caught up when it comes out by the tranny and feeds through the flexible tube to the engine firewall. I have had to pull the flex tube out before from under the car to help it.

If you are encountering problems, has ALL of the old cable made its way out yet? If some of the old cable is left that could explain the obstruction.
1976 Westfalia - "The Lime"
1972 Super Beetle - "The Lemon"
1966 Single Cab - "The Schmidty Splitty"
1965 Type 1 - "Junkyard Herbie"
1956 Type 1 - "The Crown Jewel"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:45 pm

I dug around and it's recommended to tie string on the engine side of the cable and pull it through, then use the string to pull the new cable back through. I also guess, haven't gone out and actually tried it, that the solid metal piece that gets clamped to the carb linkage, will fit through the sheath. I've got my fingers crossed.

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:25 pm

It'll fit man. Grease it as you send it through, it'll help. I just did one tonight on my '63. Take your time and give it a little wiggle or turn, as mentioned above, and it should shake right through there. If the old one is still in there, definitely try the string trick. It should make things go much smoother.

Good Luck.
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Might I suggest using nylon string for some extra strength when pulling it through. It would suck to have it break with the cable only half way out.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:46 pm

There is no such thing as too much moly grease on these cables. . . Rotating the end of the cable does help it work past hang-ups.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:31 pm

String slipped off, mostly because as the ball was unwinding it got snagged up, but not to worry, lubed it up good and it went in easy....

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:17 pm

chitwnvw wrote: lubed it up good and it went in easy....
=D>
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(