head exhaust studs

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:46 pm

chitwnvw wrote:16 hours! He only offered me 12!
Well the standard deal is 10, and he absolutely earned his pay in that time. But thank goodness, as a friend and a VW enthusiast and a stubborn cuss he refused to quit until the job was done.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:22 pm

10 offered
12 expected
16 if necessary
18.5 is the record so far 8-[
(you will be right alongside me if we have an "incident"
because that often is where the deep learning occurs)
(oh yes it does, the learning about your manners when
you are semi-conscious and hungry)
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Whenever my dad had a big project and has his buddies over to help, there is no food until the job is done. As soon as food hit the stomach, work slows down. So yes, a steady diet of diet coke or whatever 0 calorie sustenance. Hopefully, my manners will sustain.

I should note that Colin said he had to be leaving on the 12th hour, not that we would be working the whole time. Or as he likes to point out, not that I will be working as he guides.

Anyway the studs should be here by midweek (fingers crossed). Scott from GermanSupply says for a M9, I need a: " 7.75mm pilot hole, which is 0.305, pretty close to an "N" (0.003 under)"

I have a friend that works on motor bikes a bit, and he thinks he can set me up with the proper bit. I'll set the depth with the masking tape trick.

With this rebuild, I've learned that as much as you think you know what's going to happen with these vintage vehicles, that they throw you a wicked changeup and yes, the deep learning happens, usually on your back with little clearance and dirty gritty greaselike substance falling into your eyes.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:02 pm

So I installed the 9 to 8 mm studs. I replaced them all. Be very careful about tapping and dying, especially in this area, you've got to be dead on, or else you'll pay later. Well, long story short, all the studs on the inside(center of engine) had to be time cert-ed. Either the metal was soft from abuse or my bad on the tapping... And I had to ream out the flanges of the heater boxes, to make adjustments for my bad tapping. To make this even more of a good time parade, the changes in geometry, meant that I had to twist one of the flanges to get it to seat. Hey, it all worked out...

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:57 am

Amskeptic wrote:
10 offered
12 expected
16 if necessary
18.5 is the record so far 8-[
(you will be right alongside me if we have an "incident"
because that often is where the deep learning occurs)
(oh yes it does, the learning about your manners when
you are semi-conscious and hungry)
Colin
I'd be happy to make 6 hours with my jacked up back. Although, now that I have a supply of Percocet, that formula may change. ;) If my order from BD ever goes through (over a week and my card hasn't even been charged yet. Grrr...)

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:08 pm

DurocShark wrote:
I'd be happy to make 6 hours with my jacked up back. Although, now that I have a supply of Percocet, that formula may change. ;) If my order from BD ever goes through (over a week and my card hasn't even been charged yet. Grrr...)
I'd be glad to host you and your percocet, I'll supply the beer. That should guarantee that we get a lot done.

I echo your feelings about the depot, that haven't gotten an order entirely right yet. Still, I am happy they exist, looking through their catalog at least give me the impression that parts are still plentiful, if not cheap.