My Westy Resto Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:36 am

I'm home alone this weekend so I'm going to try and get the front painted up today. It still needs some bodywork but I am going to try and get one of those stud guns from Harbor Freight maybe for Christmas then I can get the little dings out of the nose next spring. I really need to get it painted cause it's starting to rust through the primer.I have to sand it down again and prime it then I'll be shooting paint today as long as It is nice out. I'll post some pics tonite sometime if it doesn't rain.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:00 pm

gmag69 wrote:I'm home alone this weekend so I'm going to try and get the front painted up today. It still needs some bodywork but I am going to try and get one of those stud guns from Harbor Freight maybe for Christmas then I can get the little dings out of the nose next spring. I really need to get it painted cause it's starting to rust through the primer.I have to sand it down again and prime it then I'll be shooting paint today as long as It is nice out. I'll post some pics tonite sometime if it doesn't rain.
Where are the pics Geno?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Sylvester wrote: Where are the pics Geno?
Here ya go man. I got the front painted along with some of the pass side. Now I'll be able to put my windshield in in a few days.
Here are the pics.
Side

Front

I have to give props to Seneca Auto here in Kane for the paint.It couldn't be any closer to the original than it is. I'm really happy with it. I can't wait till it is all painted.

Stay tuned more to come.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Unfrigginbelieveable! =D>

I'll never feel sorry for myself (at least bus-wise) again.

Again, =D> :bounce: =D> :bounce: =D>
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:38 pm

glasseye wrote:Unfrigginbelieveable! =D>

I'll never feel sorry for myself (at least bus-wise) again.

Again, =D> :bounce: =D> :bounce: =D>
Thanks. It is alot of work but it is worth it. :cheers:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Looking good Geno! You going on the road like Colin to do body work on Busses? Have a MIG and air compressor setup in the back?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:35 am

Sylvester wrote:Looking good Geno! You going on the road like Colin to do body work on Busses? Have a MIG and air compressor setup in the back?
I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. :lol: I have some more work to do on the front still but I'm needed to get it painted cause it was starting to rust through the primer. I need to get a stud gun and take some small dents out of it. Hope to get one for Xmas this year.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:27 am

=D> Beautiful work.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 am

bretski wrote:=D> Beautiful work.
Thanks.

I'm going to try to get some of the front stuff put on(headlights ,turnsignals,bumper,windshield)if it ever quits raining here. :pukeleft: I'm going to put the luggage rack back on for now before it gets broken. I would not be happy if that happened.We'll see here in a few days it's supposed to clear up. :cheers:

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 am

Geno, what type of setup are you using to shoot your paint?
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:21 pm

bretski wrote:Geno, what type of setup are you using to shoot your paint?
I barrowed a compressor from my g/f's uncle.I don't what size it is but it kept up good. I also borrowed a siphon feed spray gun from my dad. It is just a regular spray gun not a HVLP gun. As far as where I sprayed it I just did it out in my front yard. I just hope the guys boat next door isn't spotted Mexico Beige though. :pale:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:43 pm

That really looks sweet man. Wish I could get those results. I'm gonna try the roller method myself. I'm just not good with spray.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:21 am

Sluggo wrote:That really looks sweet man. Wish I could get those results. I'm gonna try the roller method myself. I'm just not good with spray.
Thanks Sluggo. I'm suprised it came out as nice as it did. I'm impatient when it comes to painting and I usually get runs in it from putting to much paint on at once. I went to school for autobody but it's been awhile since I did it so I'm kinda rusty. It's starting to come back though.

bretski-The compressor was from Harbor Freight. It was one of their cheaper ones. I think it was on sale for $100 when he bought it. It won't keep up to cut of wheels or anything like that but it does alright while spraying. It just runs most of the time. My dad has a HVLP gravity fed gun that I'm going to use next time when I do the doors. I hope to do the slider and front pass.door soon. I'd like to get it all one color soon. I'm getting tired of the 3 tone paint job. #-o

More to come. :cheers:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:44 am

I put the rack back on last night . I was a little worried that it would get broke if we had a bad wind storm. I still have to fix the cracks in it on the inside but I'll do that next spring. I'm probably going to put the bumper and stuff on it from the blue bus hopefully today. I'll take some pics once I get it all on. I'm going to have to paint the pop top now also. The rack makes it look bad. Oh well. At least it will look good once it's done.

Stay Tuned.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:51 am

Outstanding job!
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.