My Westy Resto Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 am

Well I have an update for everyone. I found an interior for my Westy and I'm going to pick it up tomarrow. :cheers: Here's a pic of it.

I'm also getting the rear cushion that goes by the hatch and the top bunk cushions though they are not pictured. I'm excited to get it. This'll be one of the biggest pieces that I need out the way. I hope to start on the dogleg next weekend. I have to pick up some vice grip C-clamps next weekend. I'll post some pics of the interior after I get it home.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:08 am

Nice score, Geno! Green plaid is da shit!

Those cabinets look to be in pretty good shape.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Doc1982
I'm New!

Post by Doc1982 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:31 am

Looks good! Gotta love that 70's style =D>
1977 Westy
Just Enough Spare Time

Yesterday is History
Tomarrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift!

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:41 am

gmag69 wrote:I found an interior for my Westy and I'm going to pick it up tomarrow.
If it is out there in the driveway, shouldn't it be called an exterior?

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks guys. The guy said the zipper on the back cushion is broke and the fridge is missing it's guts from the pics I've seen. The inner liner is still there though. Maybe I'll turn it into a cooler or something.The bottom of the z bed needs recovered from the looks of it. I just bought a bunch of fabric so I'll use that to make covers for everything. That'll keep everything looking nice. I'm getting excited to get it. I can't wait. :compress:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:44 am

static wrote:
gmag69 wrote:I found an interior for my Westy and I'm going to pick it up tomarrow.
If it is out there in the driveway, shouldn't it be called an exterior?
It's called lawn furniture. :blackeye:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 pm

Well I went and got the interior today and I'm really happy. Josh if you read this thanks for everything man this is one less major thing I need for my bus and I want to wish ya luck on your project.

Ok now here are some pics.
Here's the interior when we got it to my mom's place. I'm storing it there till next weekend when I can go and get it.

The Z-Beds been recovered on the bottom at some point and as you can see it needs it again. I have some different material I'm going to use to cover it with:

Here's the sink cabinet. It even has the post for the table. But no table top. No big I'll find one. All the hardware for the sink is there. I even got the vent cover for the outside of the bus and the electrical outside hookup too. Also all the nuts and bolts to put everything back together.
Again thanks Josh. This will make everything alot easier when everything goes back in.

Here's the closet and the upper bunk cushions and the rear cushion are in the background.

I had a pic of the icebox and the cabinet over the zbed but it won't transfer to my computer from my camera. I'll post some pics of them later on.

That's all for now. Check back for more later on.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Here is th latest update on the Westy. I decided to pull the z bed forward and see how bad the rust was on the wall behind it. There were some holes but over all it is decent. I started to weld in patch panels from the same area on the 74 parts bus. Note most of this panel is stamped the same except on the Pass side it is missing a few of the raised parts of the panel. I'll have to weld in a few diferent pieces to make it work but it'll be ok. Here are some pics.
Here is a before pic of the back wall.

Here it is after poking around with a screwdriver. Deff. have some holes to patch.

Here it is with the patch welded into place and temp sprayed with paint.

Another pic of the same thing only a closeup.

That is it for now. I'll be going to my moms to get my interior this weekend so I won't be working on it. I hope to get some c-clamps this weekend to start welding the dogleg on.

Geno :D

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:30 pm

Well here is an update on Project Westy. I finished welding up the rear wall yesterday . It's looking good. Now I just need to clean the rust off the floor from where the screws went through for the subfloor and fill them in and paint them up and then I can set my cabinets and z bed in to get the floor all measured out. :) I put in my cushions for the top bunk. They look sweet. :D Hope to set in the cabinets sometime this week.Then It's on to the dogleg.
Here's the pic.

I admit I won't win welder of the year but it is secure and a heck of alot better then the holes that were there. Plus no one will see it anyway except me.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:58 pm

I found some of this undercoating/sound deadener when I picked up my clamps last weekend so I decided to try it on the bus.

Here's the back wall covered.

Here's the side wall covered.

This stuff is nice to work with. Brushes right no problem. I was thinking about doing the cargo floor in it and maybe over the engine. What do you guys think?

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Well I decided to coat the whole floor with the undercoating/sound deadener stuff. Here are some pics.
Above the engine done.

Cargo floor done.

Another cargo floor pic.

I'm going up tomarrow and get the cabinets out of my garage stall and put them in to measure out the floor for the underlayment. I'll take some pics when I get it put in.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 pm

Geno,

That's looking great! You are going to have a very nice bus when you're done.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:34 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Geno,

That's looking great! You are going to have a very nice bus when you're done.

-John
Thanks I'm trying. I'm going to do the flooring pretty soon. I 'm going to put the interior in and hopefully if it doesn't rain I'm going to kick back in the back and drink a few cold ones tomarrow night to celebrate my B-day on the 12th. 27 this year. Dang I feel old :blackeye: .

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:14 pm

gmag69 wrote: 27 this year. Dang I feel old :blackeye: .
It is just beginning. You will be amazed at the incredible number of symptoms and proofs of your imminent decay yet to visit themselves upon your aging carcass over the coming decades. . .
Colin
( I really must start my Hallmark birthday card line)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
gmag69 wrote: 27 this year. Dang I feel old :blackeye: .
It is just beginning. You will be amazed at the incredible number of symptoms and proofs of your imminent decay yet to visit themselves upon your aging carcass over the coming decades. . .
Colin
( I really must start my Hallmark birthday card line)
Here is your first one Colin:

"You are merely postponing the inevitable, go ahead and take the whole bottle now."
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.