My Westy Resto Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
gmag69 wrote: 27 this year. Dang I feel old :blackeye: .
It is just beginning. You will be amazed at the incredible number of symptoms and proofs of your imminent decay yet to visit themselves upon your aging carcass over the coming decades. . .
Colin
( I really must start my Hallmark birthday card line)
I hear ya there. It is just another day to me anymore.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 am

Well I got the interior set in place on the bus The other day and I thought I'd share the pics.

When it rained I had a couple water leaks so I need to get those sorted out before I put the floor in.
I've decided what flooring I'm going to use though. Everyone is using Laminate wood flooring for their buses. I decided why not use laminate tiles instead. :) I'll take pics of it when I start putting it in.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:28 am

Hey Geno! Looking good my man! (I need to stop watching TVLand). What are you going to use for paneling for the top and sides?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am

Sylvester wrote:Hey Geno! Looking good my man! (I need to stop watching TVLand). What are you going to use for paneling for the top and sides?
The top still has the wood on it thank god. The front I'm going to stain as the white laminate peeled off leaving just the bare wood.

For the sides in the back I found some thin Luan plywood at Lowes yesterday that I'm going to use. I would use the Birch plywood but it is like $22 a sheet here and I'm not paying that much for plywood when the luan is $12 a sheet. I'll stain it and put it in. I'm going to try to get it when I get my flooring.

I'm going to have to order some pop top seals for it. The one under the luggage rack is all twisted up on the driver's side and it looks pretty shot. I'll probably end up getting a new canvas for the top for christmas cause this one is getting pretty rotted also.

So much to get so little $$. :crybaby: I'll get it done sooner or later.

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:27 pm

You are a MANIAC! Looking good.
Are you going to leave the metal over the engine black or are you going to paint it along with the rest of the bus?
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm just going to leave it black. I have an original carpet from a 74 parts bus I'm going to put in it once I'm done so You'll never see it unless you pick up the carpet. I don't use the engine hatch anyway. That is yet.

I'm going to try to get welding on the dogleg tomarrow morning if it doesn't rain. I'll post up some pics if I start on it. Keep an eye out. :cyclopsani:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:14 am

Well boys and girls the dogleg is now welded on!! :D I pray to god I don't have to do it again. I started at 7 this morn. and just got done at 11:20. I still have some grinding to do, fix the front floor, and the front will be done.
Here are the pics as promised
Dogleg welded in:
Another pic of it welded in.
And here it is with the door bolted back on.

As you can see there is alot of Bondo in you driver's door. I didn't realize how much till I started putting it on today. Below the body line is 90% Bondo on that door. :shock: Guess it's time for a different one. I'll use this one till I can get some $$ to get a better one.

I'm not sure where I'm heading next with this thing so check back and I'll see here soon what I'm going to do.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:50 am

Here is my update for today. I decided to pull the firewall off today and get everything behind it cleaned up. I figured that VDubTech pulled the tank out of it already but when I crawled up under it I realized it was still in there. The nipples are rotted right off the bottom of the tank. I won't be reusing it.Once I got all the screws out and popped the firewall out a little I realized I was in for a treat cause I started to smell mouse pee. Nothing and I mean Nothing could have prepared me for when I pulled That firewall off. The smell was so strong It about brought tears to my eyes. I don't care what anyone says mice and rats are the nastiest animals on the planet and need to be wiped out. :x Anyway, Here are some pics.

Right after I pulled the firewall off.

Nice mouse nest.Thanks guys.

Nest on top of the tank.

Nice present where the insulation used to be above the motor.

Here it is with the tank out.

One good thing I found at least it still has the charcoal canister.

I'll probably clean out the nest tomarrow. I wore rubber gloves when I pulled the tank out. The sender is all rusted to the top of the tank and the wires to the sender are shot. They ate them.
we'll see what it looks like once I get it all cleaned out. I had a pic of the tank but it wouldn't let me upload it for some reason. Oh well.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:53 am

Is it true that the charcoal in the canister must be replaced after a certain amount of years?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:58 am

hambone wrote:Is it true that the charcoal in the canister must be replaced after a certain amount of years?
Da comrade, Da.

:pukeleft: those are some nasty little critters.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:59 am

Some day I want to rig up some of that emissions stuff on my bus, makes me feel guilty to have 0 controls. Granted I don't drive very often but I still gotta do somethin about it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:37 pm

If you start to smell gas and all your rubber bits are in good shape then the canister is probably the suspect. As long as you don't smell gas I wouldn't worry about it. That's what I'm going to do anyway. I've never changed it in any of any other cars and they were fine.I have to have all that stuff for a visual emissions check. I bought the EGR filter and it cost me around $100 that included shipping. That is the cheapest one I found and it was an NOS one.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Geno,

You are a true busaholic. A++++ on your efforts with your bus man.
=D> =D>
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Thirstytank wrote:Geno,

You are a true busaholic. A++++ on your efforts with your bus man.
=D> =D>
Thanks man I'm trying. I feel like I'm going 2 steps forward then 3 steps back on it all the time when I find stuff like this. I'll get it cleaned up and see what I get tomarrow. :cheers:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:15 pm

gmag69 wrote: I don't care what anyone says mice and rats are the nastiest animals on the planet and need to be wiped out.
Boy I agree. At least they weren't still in there. Is the tank useable still?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.