My Westy Resto Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:46 pm

If I had a garage and the tool I'd like to take a bus bus apart spotweld by spotweld just to see how it was put together.I don't have one so that isn't going to happen any time soon.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Well I got 2 presents for the bus for Christmas this year. I got an ATV jack to remove the engine and tranny this spring from the blue bus. Man that thing weighs a ton! Should have got the aluminum one instead. :-k I also picked up a Scat shifter for it also. I was going to get a Berg shifter off someone on the Samba but I didn't have the $$ right away and it got sold or something. No biggy the Scat shifter is pretty nice.Alot better then the stock shifter anyways.Every time I went to shift the shifter would bend. Just didn't like that. I'll post pics sometime.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:51 am

Well I'm trying to make up a plan of attack for the Westy so when it starts to get nice out again I can get going on it. I really want to get this thing going this year so I'm going to try to stay motivated and devote as much unused time to it as I can to make it happen. I'm going to use this post to put my list on so I don't have million pieces of paper laying around and getting lost. :lol:

Starting with the Westy:
1) Figure out a fix for my passenger side battery tray blunder.:oops:
2)Do alittle metal work in the gas tank area before I put the tank in. Got some rust that needs patching.
3)Front driver's floor needs finished by the step and a patch where the wheel tube meets the the floor needs put in.
4)Do something with the gas pedal problem.Will have to see how bad the rust in the floor is before I can do anything with this. If it isn't bad I'll use the pedal and hinge from the blue bus to fix it.
5) Will need the clutch cable tube from the blue bus to make it a manual bus. I hope I can get this part off the blue bus without breaking it. Will have to look into it.
6) Bend over the bracket for the end of the shift rod under the shifter and weld it in place. Figure out what to do with the shifter bolts. There aren't any welded to the floor in the bus.
7)Go over the brake lines and see what will need replaced rubber and metal. May be able to use the metal lines that are there if the are not all rusted up.Will replace with new ones I have if they are rusted at all.Will replace all rubber ones with new regardless of what the old ones look like.
8] Need to do some seem sealing in the engine compartment.May do a color change I'm not sure yet. Still debating. Regardless I need to repaint the engine bay after I do some bodywork in there.
9) Finish putting in the rest of the windows with new seals.
10) Passenger slider track cover thingy do needs replaced with one from blue bus.

Blue bus:
1) Pull motor and tranny
2) Pull wiring harness& check it for problems. Going to add another wire to the harness that goes directly to the battery for the radio.Fused of course.
3)Pull the tank and replace the filler neck boot & the lower rubber hose then put it in the Westy.
4) Pull the shift rods.Replace bushings and put into the Westy.
5) Pull the brake booster/master cylinder and put it into the Westy.
6)Look at the clutch cable tube and see how hard it will be to get out. If not to bad pull it out and put it into the Westy.
7)Pull the front calipers and rotors and put them on the Westy.

That is all I can think of for now.I'll edit this post as I think of things to add.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 pm

I wanted to update this since I haven't been on here in it feels like forever. I haven't done any work on the bus this year. I decided to pull my '69 GTO out of the garage that has been setting since '88 and do some work on it to get it back on the road.As luck would have I ran out of time and money so it'll be going back in the garage soon for the winter.
On the plus side though I did haul the bus out of my dad's yard last Thursday night with my Dodge and take it out in the woods camping. My son spent most of the weekend climbing up and down out of the top bunk playing. :D Even my g/f liked it so that is a plus. :lol: Besides smacking my head off the head knocker cabinet over the lower bed a couple times I enjoyed it also.I have to get that cabinet screwed up to the roof before the next time we take it out that's for sure. :oops: I have a few pics on my phone but my computer at home is on it's way out so I don't know if I'll be able to get them or not. Anyways,I figured I would give an update here and let everyone know the bus isn't dead in the water yet. :wink:

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Great to hear from you! Even greater to hear you haven't (so far) had to sell the bus after all!

My kids enjoy the 'playhouse' feature of the pop top as well.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 pm

gmag69 wrote:Anyways,I figured I would give an update here and let everyone know the bus isn't dead in the water yet. :wink:
Nice to see an update Geno!

Never give up!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:42 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Great to hear from you! Even greater to hear you haven't (so far) had to sell the bus after all!

My kids enjoy the 'playhouse' feature of the pop top as well.
I'm glad I haven't had to sell it either.I've thought about it a few times this year.It's been a tight one but I've managed so far.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:44 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
gmag69 wrote:Anyways,I figured I would give an update here and let everyone know the bus isn't dead in the water yet. :wink:
Nice to see an update Geno!

Never give up!

-John
I won't John. I've been thinking of doing some work to it since I really don't need to buy anything for it. Just need to put the stuff on I have already.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 am

Geno is back! Nice to hear from you again! Any recent pictures of the Bus?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 am

Sylvester wrote:Geno is back! Nice to hear from you again! Any recent pictures of the Bus?
I have a few on my phone from when we were out in the woods but my computer at home is going out so I don't know if I'll be able to get them or not.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: My Westy Resto Thread

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:25 am

How is the restoration going? Get caught up in the real world like we all do?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 am

Sylvester wrote:How is the restoration going? Get caught up in the real world like we all do?
Kinda stalled for now. I have some stuff to do to my other vehicles first then I hope to drag the bus out and start working on it again.

Vid I made today for it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjcnkDpj ... rofilepage
I'll be putting up vids on YouTube as I go along so if you are on YouTube subscribe and follow along. :compress:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 am

Yeah man it's been a while. HOW ARE YOU!?!!?!?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 am

Oh and I'm gonna be getting married in August also. I guess after 18 years together it is about time we tie the knot. :thumbright:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri May 20, 2011 1:25 pm

gmag69 wrote:Oh and I'm gonna be getting married in August also. I guess after 18 years together it is about time we tie the knot. :thumbright:
Congratulations!!!!! :flower: :cheers: :colors: :compress: =D>

The Wife & I waited 8 years. I don't think she would have let me get away with 18.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------