My Westy Resto Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Well I've been rolling it over and over in my head since I posted earlier and I've decided to try as hard as I can to not sell my bus. I was going through pictures and saw my son setting up in the pop top and that really got to me.

I hope I can do it. I just need to get my head out of my butt and manage my money better(never been good at that at all.) If I can make it till income tax time I'll be in like flint. we'll see how it goes. :pale:
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Hey, you made my day!
At least it's not costing you anything sitting there.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Atta boy, Geno! Hang in there, my friend! Give the boy a chance to be a rock star some day driving that westy...

Along those lines:
I let my son drive Klaus last week. Yeah, yeah, he's 12, but what the heck. This is Colorado. :pirate:
What a great experience, especially considering that he didn't burn up the clutch! Father-son moments like that are what this journey is all about.

-Bret
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm

I let my daughter sit on my lap and steer the Van the 1/4 mile down the road to our little cabin in the woods.

Can't wait for driving lessons.

I already had practice teaching my wife how to drive a stick shift. We never hit anything but came damn close. Truly bonding times and that was before we were married.

Good vibes comin' yer way Geno.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks guys.I hope I can make it without having to sell it. we shall see. I've put alot of work into it so I hate to stop now. :sad11:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:21 pm

I threw my 7 year old the keys and said, "Take it for a spin." Didn't see her for a couple of days.

Geno, how can you think of selling the bus? How much will you really get for a bus in the midst of a restoration? Or are you thinking of all the money you won't spend down the line? A legitimate consideration...

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm actually thinking of all the money I could get from parting them out and selling all the brand new (still in their packages) stuff that I have for it to help me pay my overdue bills that I just can't seem to get taken care of no matter what I do. My main thing is I usually use my income tax to catch up on bills but I used all of that to pay off my house this year.(which I'm grateful for) That took all my catch up money though so I'm kinda fighting with everything trying to get it caught up. #-o It is hard to explain but I'm going to see what happens.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Maybe you need to find some basic household budget management class. It's not rocket science, but you need to put it all on paper, get rid of the crud you don't need, recurring bills are the worst, ie cable, etc. ATM/Credit cards are tough, my wife and I had to promise to take out x dollars a week and live off that. If we had extra that was for emergencies. Otherwise the card comes out and you don't know what you are spending. Paying off the house is admirable, but the interest on that loan is deductable, so it is the last thing I am going to worry about getting out from under. Sounds like you have enough money if you can just get a handle on your situation. Good luck.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Geno,

You've put so much into that bus. If you have to sell the stuff you've got new in packages to get you through to tax time, do that but keep the bus (yeah, it's a loss of some money but at least the countless time you've put into the bus remains yours and you can pick up the restoration when funds permit).

Good vibes to you.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 am

Oh there is alot to the budget story but I'd rather not lay it all out in a public forum.Lets just say it isn't all my fault. I try to make sure things get paid but money ends up not being there that you thought you had. :bounce:

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 pm

You might be able to have your cake and eat it too.... IIRC, think you posted earlier that the big $$ you wanted to recoup was the money you had invested in new parts. Why don't you just sell the big dollar parts that you know you can flip easily for some fast cash, and keep the shell (where you've made a big investment in time), when you get the coinage again, you can start buying the parts you need, and pickup where you left off. :joker:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm probably just going to keep it all and see what happens.I do have some parts I can sell that I don't need though.I have a set of tan rear seats for a transporter that are in awesome shape. Well,They were the last time I looked at them anyways. I also have that rare under the middle seat heat thingymado that is always missing from buses.I don't know why I was going to keep it anyways I'll probably never have another bus anyways. I believe my internet is now back on since my g/f called and said out long distance has been turned back on.I'll be able to post pics of the stuff if it is anyways.Her brother was nice enough to lend us the extra money I needed so I could pay that bill. I hate robbing Peter to pay Paul but you do what ya gotta do.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Well it was a 63* day today so I decided it would be a good day to work in the yard. I hate to do it but I started cutting up the blue bus to get rid of it. I thought why not have alittle fun. So I did this.

Who knew I had a singlecab in my yard all this time. :lol:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm

It would be nice if someone took a lot of pictures as they disassembed a bus. I'd like the lesson on how they are put together.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Next time I cut one up I'll take detailed pics. I've gotten rid of a few this year and doing it by yourself with a sawzall it's tough to remember to stop and take pics. I can cut up a Bus like you wouldn't believe. I do have a few pics here and there, I'll start a new thread.