Cable repair

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Cable repair

Post by RussellK » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:34 am

Has anyone tried to repair a heater cable instead of replace. On my '77 the short heater cable. It's the 2nd left side cable that's about a foot long. The outer housing that looks like a tight spring is cracked. I was wondering if anyone has tried to repair theirs and if the repair lasted.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:21 pm

I've got one in a similar condition. It still seems to work alright though, after i freed it up. My thought is you could use some brake or shift bicycle cable as an inexpensive easy to obtain replacement. This fall, if it all works out I should be finishing up my heating system overhaul. As long as nothing else comes up.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Cable repair

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:54 am

RussellK wrote:Has anyone tried to repair a heater cable instead of replace. On my '77 the short heater cable. It's the 2nd left side cable that's about a foot long. The outer housing that looks like a tight spring is cracked. I was wondering if anyone has tried to repair theirs and if the repair lasted.
If you are talking about the outer sheath, you can try to hold it together with a little fuel hose type clamp.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles