New engine build

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 am

Wouldn't fooling the engine that it was colder than actual make the mixture richer? In any case, I've found that this cam likes to idle a bit higher before it cleans up. I found this when trying to get through DEQ that if I set the idle to about ~1300rpm the emissions went to almost nothing whereas when it was set to the correct ~1000 it was stinky rich and wouldn't pass. This was all before setting the mixture with the LM1 one also so that could have been a factor.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 am

cheesehead wrote:Did I miss something who may it?
Sounds wild:)
It was designed and built by Chris Foley of Tangerine Racing for Jake to sell in his store.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 am

Westy78 wrote: if I set the idle to about ~1300rpm the emissions went to almost nothing whereas when it was set to the correct ~1000 it was stinky rich and wouldn't pass. This was all before setting the mixture with the LM1 one also so that could have been a factor.
You need to back the wiper towards lean and possibly release the black cog a few teeth. That will keep your 1,300 sufficient, and give you a cleaner idle.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm

I seen'd the muffler with my own eyes the other day. It is a bit loud, like some sort of military transport. We could hear ya comin on the freeway. Also, it does stick out towards the back too far, you gotta watch that some drunken stumpy camp trip (which is what did in my previous bumper, a stump in the Coast Range, Turk was there believe it or not before he signed up to the Galactic Empire)
But I'll bet it breathes really well for that very special (Church Lady) engine ya got back there.
So are you finally dialed in and happy? Hopefully it will be a very productive camp season this year since you an yer gal have settled in somewhat.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Yeah, it does stick out further than I'd like. Really wish it tucked up under the bumper better but to get those pipes the right length they have to go somewhere. It's not the first time I've had a muffler that hangs out in the open so I've become very aware of where I'm backing up or into. First one I had a few years ago took on some logs and rocks on more than one occasion.

I kind of like the sound personally. The reason you heard me coming is because I was on the throttle up that hill. When I'm just cruising it's not bad at all. In any case it's made enough of a positive difference in drivability that I'll accept all of the negatives.

I took some driving videos last night for people that are interested in it to get a sense of the tone and volume of the header. Inside the bus it's really not too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/user/type278

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:46 pm

I like it, the pic you took at first was at an angle. In person I think it looks fine. How often do you oogle yer muffler anywho?

The sound is awesome, very throaty.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:46 pm

I think it sounds great. Aggressive, throaty, authoratative.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:37 pm

man, you're flying with that bus! I dont think i've ever been in the left lane on the freeway with mine. Sounds great to me.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 pm

germansupplyscott wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:BEFORE YOU ALL START DRILLING OUT YER DAMN THROTTLE PLATES, how about if we let your poor engines break in?
there are factory bus engines with a hole in the plate. i can provide the part number if you like, so no throttle plates are harmed.
(bringing this back from the dead)

For whatever it's worth, when I was replacing the throttle body seal this morning, I noticed that the throttle plate I've got has the hole in it. TB came from a California-spec '81 Vanagon .. if it matters. The junker TB out in the garage came from a '76 and has no hole.

(yes, junker. Shaft is bent at the cable arm)
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:29 pm

tristessa wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:BEFORE YOU ALL START DRILLING OUT YER DAMN THROTTLE PLATES, how about if we let your poor engines break in?
there are factory bus engines with a hole in the plate. i can provide the part number if you like, so no throttle plates are harmed.
(bringing this back from the dead)

For whatever it's worth, when I was replacing the throttle body seal this morning, I noticed that the throttle plate I've got has the hole in it. TB came from a California-spec '81 Vanagon .. if it matters. The junker TB out in the garage came from a '76 and has no hole.

(yes, junker. Shaft is bent at the cable arm)
Ah!@ I was just talking to Scott about this but he didn't have any in stock. He said he thought the hole was 3/32 but didn't recall exactly where the hole was other than it was on the leading edge of the plate. Did you happen to notice?

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Westy78 wrote:[Ah!@ I was just talking to Scott about this but he didn't have any in stock. He said he thought the hole was 3/32 but didn't recall exactly where the hole was other than it was on the leading edge of the plate. Did you happen to notice?
Didn't exactly notice, other than on the rearwards side of the butterfly (front is front). 3/32 seems a bit smaller than what I remember seeing too...

I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon, need to replace the barrel clamp for the throttle cable. The threads are stripped and it's not holding tight, cable kept slipping when I was out running errands this evening.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Didn't get a picture, but it looks to be about halfway between the shaft and edge of the butterfly in that direction, and slightly off-center towards the top of the TB bore. My 3/32 drill bit fit through but 1/8 didn't so .. that's about the right size.

I've got a spare un-drilled butterfly in the junker TB if you wind up needing it...

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:11 pm

tristessa wrote:Didn't get a picture, but it looks to be about halfway between the shaft and edge of the butterfly in that direction, and slightly off-center towards the top of the TB bore. My 3/32 drill bit fit through but 1/8 didn't so .. that's about the right size.

I've got a spare un-drilled butterfly in the junker TB if you wind up needing it...
Thanks, I've got a spare throttle body that I can try this on.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re:

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:42 am

Westy78 wrote:
tristessa wrote:Didn't get a picture, but it looks to be about halfway between the shaft and edge of the butterfly in that direction, and slightly off-center towards the top of the TB bore. My 3/32 drill bit fit through but 1/8 didn't so .. that's about the right size.

Well? :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Re:

Post by Westy78 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:

Well? :cyclopsani:
Haven't tried it yet. Just been driving it.