OMFG Almost 2 gallons of GAS in my engine!!!!!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:23 pm

bottomend wrote:Man, you're really earning your stripes Private Slug! Gave me a bit of a scare there for a minute... Can anything bad happen to all the seals by having them soak in gas for a day or two?
I've asked around and the consensus seems to be that as long as I didn't run it I'm cool. I hope that's true. :pale:
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:28 pm

Sluggo wrote:
bottomend wrote:Man, you're really earning your stripes Private Slug! Gave me a bit of a scare there for a minute... Can anything bad happen to all the seals by having them soak in gas for a day or two?
I've asked around and the consensus seems to be that as long as I didn't run it I'm cool. I hope that's true. :pale:
It's cool.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:58 pm

DurocShark wrote:This is a fresh rebuild, right? Keep the oil changed and clean for a few hund miles before worrying about that light. You may just need to let things seat.

And make sure your idle is staying where it should be, 850rpm IIRC, and not dropping.
Found a small leak at the OP sender connection. Tightened it up and no more light when warm I have a tee and hooked up the dual prong VDO sender but only used the gauge (using stock sender for light). According to the gauge I have only 10 PSI at start up and 0 once warm. Bus Depot says I need to contact VDO for the warranty and once they confirm a defect, BD will replace it. Might be better off just buying another one somewhere else.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Sluggo wrote:
DurocShark wrote:This is a fresh rebuild, right? Keep the oil changed and clean for a few hund miles before worrying about that light. You may just need to let things seat.

And make sure your idle is staying where it should be, 850rpm IIRC, and not dropping.
Found a small leak at the OP sender connection. Tightened it up and no more light when warm I have a tee and hooked up the dual prong VDO sender but only used the gauge (using stock sender for light). According to the gauge I have only 10 PSI at start up and 0 once warm. Bus Depot says I need to contact VDO for the warranty and once they confirm a defect, BD will replace it. Might be better off just buying another one somewhere else.
Try using just the VDO sender without the Tee. See if it gives you the same results.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 pm

I did that before the rebuild. It gave better but still very inaccurate (more inaccurate than the posts I've read about them) readings. It wouldn't make a difference anyway. I consulted ratwell And Step on it once before and the tee or extension would make no difference in pressure reading unless there was a leak. And that would effect all senders not just the leaky one. Before the rebuild it gave a reading of 80 at start up and 2 once warm.

There are now no leaks except the little drop that never falls on the bottom front of the engine where it meets the bell housing. Typical flywheel seal weeping that i've heard is needed for lubrication.

Oil temps have yet to break 150 and Head temp never goes above 350 (300-325 average)

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:23 pm

I agree that it *shouldn't* make a difference. Pressure is pressure, regardless of the shape of the container.

But you said you noticed a difference...

Anyway, inaccurate both ways is bad. :pale:

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 pm

Crazy.. thats all I can say, man.