Welding seatbelt receiver posts

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Welding seatbelt receiver posts

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am

Has anybody extended the seatbelt receiver posts (the part you plug the seatbelt into) by welding on another length of steel?

I upgraded the Guac to retractables using heavy steel brackets, but the belts are just a couple inches too short for my comfort. I have the old belts and the receivers and am considering welding them to the new receivers to make them raise higher.

the sage
Bus Ad Archivist

Post by the sage » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:55 am

The belts I have came with a hardware kit. I am always nervous about welding seatbelt things...

Sure it looks good, but to hold 200 lbs back from a 60 to 0 stop takes quite a bit of holding power, and just how do you go about measuring...

Can't you trim down the bolt or go with a spacer?
1977 Sage Deluxe Campermobile

Visit VW Sage Ad World Today!

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:15 am

I too am nervous about welding it, hence my asking.

Without building a serious bracket for the door sides where the retractor is, my only other option is to extend the receiver.

I think that if I overlap the two pieces 2", weld all around and through the hole, it would be stronger than the original. Maybe a bolt as well?

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 pm

Might not be as pretty, but what about a spacer chunk of steel with two holes as a spacer. No welding, only solid bolts holding on the extension.

or...

maybe can you pull the ends of the belt off and attach them to new longer ones? I've seen those parts for sale before.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav: