a little long story could it be the fuel pump?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

a little long story could it be the fuel pump?

Post by cheesehead » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:15 am

Okay bear with me...
Probably not of consequence but after we put in a new alternator....
Problem started after the engine was warmed up- if I stopped for a few minutes and then drove it I would get this bucking/hesitation at the begining of each gear then it would smooth out through each gear. First real FI problem I have had in the couple years of owning the bus. At the time it had a 009 distributor. So all eyes went to the temp sensor II But that sucker was in a weird place and could not get to it through the tin. Maybe the tin was from an earlier year or the heads were modified to fit the FI. I don't know, we drilled through the tin and replaced it anyway. No dice didn't fix it darn! So we changed the dist. to an SVDA from aircooled.net. Which seemed to help. So I thought great we solved the problem and we can get on with the new engine build and replacement because we found the issue.
On to this week...we replaced the gas tank (new redone with POR treatment), sending unit all new hoses up the filler and all. We found a busted off core of an old locking gas cap in the tank Oops. New engine all new feul and vaccum lines new injectors cleaned every thing looks beautiful powdercoated blahblahblah. Dual tip quiet pack exhaust the tips even match the yellow bus:) We were having concerns about the oil pressure light going on so to assure we didn't have that issue we installed an oil pressure gauge last night. We ran the wire through the brake booster grommet. The install went nice and of course we are fine on the oil pressure:) BUT we went for a cruise and that freakin' hesitation/bucking was back worse than ever I thought we were going to stall. Went back home ....Thinking what did we disturb in the left rear that would have caused this? Yes we were pushing the wire harness around to feed the OP wire in there and the break booster hose came off I pushed it back in tight. I was thinking could it be a vaccum leak? Then I thought we just replaced all the lines and some boots with the new engine install, how would we have the same vaccum leak after replacing everything? Went to the bentley while banging my head againt the wall. Since we had a new solid state double relay we said well why not...so we put it in also a different resistor pack from another bus. I know don't change two things at once...but we drove and no hesitaion. Then we tried it with the original resistor and that worked too so could it be that the relay was bad?
Now the bus has a type3 mechanical fuel pump is that good bad or ugly and why?
I need constructive thought here please.
Meg

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 am

Posting a correction I mean fuel pressure regulator not fuel pump I am new to this so forgive me...sorry if your were confused....I am:)