what ever happened with spiffy's starter problem?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

what ever happened with spiffy's starter problem?

Post by Birdibus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:04 am

Lost on the temporary site was spiffy's on-the-road plea for help with starter problems. Did he get his bus running again?
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:19 am

I called him from a payphone and we got it to start. He has some neutral safety switch work to take care of. Automatic buses have that extra contact so it won't start in gear. Haven't heard from him since. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: what ever happened with spiffy's starter problem?

Post by spiffy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:21 pm

Birdibus wrote:Lost on the temporary site was spiffy's on-the-road plea for help with starter problems. Did he get his bus running again?
Thanks for the concern!! Indeed, it was a plea!

I bought some new 15 amp fuses today when I went to go recycle some oil to make room for the after trip oil change and for giggles I popped in a fuse into the hot start relay and Lo and behold.......fired right up and then I had to go pick up my wife's jaw from the floor :pale:

Definitely an issue to be worked out still but I know where to dig. Aww, I love these things #-o
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:39 pm

Yah, gotta love them. :scratch:

I guess it's like the weather in Chicago, it gives us all someting to talk about.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:48 pm

A fuse! LOL You gotta love the elusive little broken bits. Wasn't it fun crawling beneath the bus to start with a wrench to the solenoid?

For future reference, anyone have a photo of the solenoid and exactly where to 'jump' it with the wrench? I used to know that trick but have forgotten.

I do remember, though, to MAKE SURE the bus is not in gear during such a start up. You wouldn't want to squish the guy who is under the car!
71 bus, 74 westy