Heat exchanger interchangability

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Heat exchanger interchangability

Post by BusBerd » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:18 pm

I am thinking of purchasing used heater boxes ('72-74) to replace my heater boxes ('77). (BTW, I am replacing the whole exhaust system of my bus with a 72-74 exhaust system) I have found some heater boxes that I could purchase that are in ok condition, but they do not have the top connector part that clamps on to the fan shroud side of the heaterbox.
Will those top connector pieces from my '77 heater boxes fit the '72-74 heater boxes?
Do you know which piece I mean? the piece that helps the heaterboxes clamp on to the fan shroud port.
thanks!!
1977 VW Westfalia Campmobile
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Heat exchanger interchangability

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 pm

BusBerd wrote: Will those top connector pieces from my '77 heater boxes fit the '72-74 heater boxes?
Yes they will fit. There is a left and a right upper cover. You might have a bit of a fight if the lower parts are not aligned. You are bringing bus to Mr. Rebuild tomorrow? I wish you an uneventful trip.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Re: Heat exchanger interchangability

Post by BusBerd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:02 am

Amskeptic wrote: You are bringing bus to Mr. Rebuild tomorrow? I wish you an uneventful trip.
Colin
Actually i brought it in yesterday and it is supposedly done and i can pick it up today. I am a little wary however. He said they plugged the #2 air-injection port and cylinder #1's compression suddenly came back up. He said he could not detect the oil leak that I found originating from #3 spark plug area (did you see the pics i posted on that?). So, I am going down there this morning to check it out. It would be really nice if everything magically fixed itself, but somehow I doubt it.
I don't like being without my bus, though. So I may just drive it home and, as per his instructions, wait 1000 miles for the leak from the front seal to "seat itself" (???) and then take it in to him when it is still leaking to work on during winter months when I don't drive it anyway.
Here is the pic of the oil leak that I thought was coming from #3 exhaust pushrod tube, but I followed the leak up to the #3 spark plug area.

2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:19 am

just got back from the shop. The engine is running better. He plugged the air-injection port on #2. but i could still hear #1 missing. So I did a compression test at the shop (I brought my own tools) and it was still at 50. He did a compression test with HIS tester and it was still at 50. We could hear #1 leaking. I asked if we should do a leak down test and he said that he did not have a leak down tester (what??). So he said to leave the bus there today and he will look at it.
I didn't even start with the oil leaks. But, he did replace the valve cover that was damaged. Maybe that is where the leak was coming from on that side(#3 & #4). i don't know how it could reach the #3 spark plug area, but whatever, we'll see. He also said that the nuts that hold the valve adjuster screws were loose or off!! I put those on myself and, although I am perfectly willing to admit to my own blunders, I am wondering if this isn't some "tit for tat" effort about the rockerstand supports that he installed upside down. If thats what it takes to have him do a better job with my engine, I'll gladly take the egg on my face!
I just want my bus back!!!
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:49 am

BusBerd wrote:just got back from the shop. The engine is running better. He plugged the air-injection port on #2. but i could still hear #1 missing. So I did a compression test at the shop (I brought my own tools) and it was still at 50. He did a compression test with HIS tester and it was still at 50. We could hear #1 leaking.
He also said that the nuts that hold the valve adjuster screws were loose or off!! I am wondering if this isn't some "tit for tat" effort about the rocker stand supports that he installed upside down.
I just want my bus back!!!
50 is 50 is 50. It must be addressed. What is your feeling about his effort, his motivation, your engine in his hands again?
Tit-for-tat is not the right energy for doing a clean careful repair.

I look at your avatar and I want to see that bus on the road, I wanted to DRIVE it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote: What is your feeling about his effort, his motivation, your engine in his hands again?
Well, ( I was thinking about this today) it seems that there is a bell curve here. I think I should leave the bus at the shop long enough for him to fix the weak compression, but I got this feeling that if I leave it there any longer it will actually be detrimental for the bus, so I want to get out while the bell curve is high.
I think you were right that the bus is better in my hands even if I am still learning on this engine, because I will take better care to make sure my work is good, becuase it is MY bus: I am the one who is depending on the engine to work smoothly.
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I look at your avatar and I want to see that bus on the road, I wanted to DRIVE it.
Colin
Maybe on next summer's tour. It better be running and ready for you to tweek by then!!
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission