Information please on trailor for bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Information please on trailor for bus

Post by Elwood » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 am

Hi people, need some advice on putting a bus on trailor to bring it out of remote storage over 3.5 mi of ruddydirt road. Know to not tow it and tie things down but what else should I be considering .? Thanks for any advice. It is a biggie for me and Im nervious. Thanks, Barb

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:58 pm

I moved the topic to the Bay Bus forum. You'll proabably get more and better responses here.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks Sluggo, Ive never rented a car hauler before and don,t know if you can take them off-road. Lots to find out about. The road is grated but wash board and one steep grade that won,t be a problem going in empty but wonder about coming down with weight of bus and parts.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:06 pm

Elwood wrote:Thanks Sluggo, Ive never rented a car hauler before and don,t know if you can take them off-road. Lots to find out about. The road is grated but wash board and one steep grade that won,t be a problem going in empty but wonder about coming down with weight of bus and parts.
I'm not sure if you can. I've never tried to take one off road. I'm sure if you can't, there would be a special kind that you can take off road. Might cost more though.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:11 pm

Hey Barb, I've rented car haulers for years from U-haul. I think if you take your time and make sure the bus is absolutely secure you should be fine. I did have a problem once with a trailer though. The drivers side fender folds down to allow you to open the drivers door after loading the vehicle. It has a rubber tiedown just like on a Westy top. Make sure it is secured tightly, I've had them come down on me while on the expressway. Needless to say it locked up both wheels on that side and tried to take my truck with it. The trailers have wheel straps on the fronts that go over each wheel and tighten down. On the rear I just use the chains provided on the trailer but if your going to be bouncing around a little you may want to secure it with ratchet straps up over the mustache bar, frame, bumper, or somewhere relatively solid. Definitely not the axles or across the tranny. Take your time and re-check everything when you get out onto regular roads. Also if your towing with an automatic with overdrive, your supposed to disengage the overdrive. It keeps the tranny from shifting in and out of high gear.

Hopefully some of this is helpful to you.

Good Luck
Steve
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 pm

If you can drive in the road with a car a car hauler should be ok too.

Bill

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 pm

Great info guys, thanks alot. This saga has been going on for along time and will be a story to be told with pictures in the future. It begins with a addiction to vws we all know about, and not seeing any of them going to the crusher. Enter in disfunctional family owners and the drama that brings in. Im very happy that my Elwood is running and getting his attention needed for Arctic trip. Stay tuned. This move to get said bus off of property is a night mare for me,I have bill of sale and dmv print-out of fees needed to retain original black license plates, due by Oct. 10th '06.
Sept. will be a very busy month for me. Its all fun :cheers: