Full auto bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Full auto bus

Post by MidWesty » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:48 pm

I've got an opportunity to add an automatic bus to my stable. Runs well, little rust, has middle and rear seat intact. How are these tranny's? Good thing, bad thing, anything in particular I should watch out for or expect to go wrong? Seems to shift well between gears as of right now. What's the life expectancy on an auto tranny? Any suggestions, info, experiences welcome.

Thanks!
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 am

The auto buses have robust transmissions with a reputation for knowing when to shift. There is an early transmission and a late transmission. The earlys were based on the Type III/IV and the lates were based on the Rabbit's. What year is the bus you're looking at?
Test drive should yield crisp shifts and sweet smelling fluid, not soggy shifts and crisp-smelling fluid.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: Full auto bus

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:50 am

MidWesty wrote:I've got an opportunity to add an automatic bus to my stable. Runs well, little rust, has middle and rear seat intact. How are these tranny's? Good thing, bad thing, anything in particular I should watch out for or expect to go wrong? Seems to shift well between gears as of right now. What's the life expectancy on an auto tranny? Any suggestions, info, experiences welcome.

Thanks!
My 78 has 190K miles on the 010 (rabbit version) automatic. Bus depot sells the filter and gasket sets for them. To this day it shifts smoothly and is a coffee drinkers best friend. The nice thing is that the shift points for 2nd gear are alot like 3rd gear on the manuals.....ie you can hang out at 45mph going up a hill in 2nd and have lots of pulling power.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:02 am

Interesting, because the autostick Beetles were notorious pieces of crap. I'm glad they got the "bugs" (hillarious!) out with the type2.
I for one, enjoy a manual transmission.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:13 am

hambone wrote:Interesting, because the autostick Beetles were notorious pieces of crap. I'm glad they got the "bugs" (hillarious!) out with the type2.
I for one, enjoy a manual transmission.
I drove the autostick bug when it was brand new. . . as a ten year-old.
It was a pleasure to drive, but you had to know what was going on. Many people did not realize that it was a torque converter through a clutch to a manual 3 speed. If you took off in high gear it was a dog. I liked manually shifting it for more sprightly performance, and it was a joy in traffic with that torque converter. It was easy to double clutch by using a light tap on the gearshift, and it was fun for a brat to sneak a hand over to disengage the clutch on an unsuspecting driver.
It only was "crap" on older bugs when vacuum leaks made the clutch engagement violent.

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:29 am

Cool! I thought my topic was lost in the chaos.
It's a '73 passenger bus with both sets of seats. Dual carbs have been switched to a single Weber. Engine runs well. I haven't test driven it yet but I know the guy drives it daily right now. I'm trading a Squareback and some misc Bug parts I've got for it. I'm not normally an auto fan myself but have been looking for a decent passenger bus to tinker with. My 78 Rivi is dead stock and complete so I've been looking for another bus to start on. Thanks for all the info as of yet!

Steve
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 am

I always used to say that I had the "air-cooled automatic curse". Anytime I ever found an air-cooled VW that I was interested in buying, it was an automatic.

I owned a '79 Bay for 19 years with the Rabbit automatic and I LOVED it. In fact, I prefer it to the manual in our '78 Westy. The torque of the 2-liter engine was very nicely matched to the automatic box, making it easy to keep up with normal stop and go traffic flow. I always feel like the 1-2 shift in the manual box slows things way down. The shifts were very smooth, and downshifts only happened when absolutely necessary - no hunting around between gears like so many small car automatics are prone to do.

The '71 Super Beetle Convertible we own is an Autostick, and far from being a piece of crap, it works quite nicely and smoothly. I always tell people that it's the original Tiptronic!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:53 am

vwlover77 wrote: The torque of the 2-liter engine was very nicely matched to the automatic box, making it easy to keep up with normal stop and go traffic flow. I always feel like the 1-2 shift in the manual box slows things way down. The shifts were very smooth, and downshifts only happened when absolutely necessary - no hunting around between gears like so many small car automatics are prone to do.

The '71 Super Beetle Convertible we own is an Autostick, and far from being a piece of crap, it works quite nicely and smoothly. I always tell people that it's the original Tiptronic!
I agree on both counts. VW did great things with the auto bus.
I want to drive that autostick super beetle, it is a lot of fun to pull off a double-clutch tapping the gear shift.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:56 pm

We need to arrange a test driving session at Sean Gallagher's pub the next time you swing through Ohio!

(First the test-driving, THEN the beer! :drunken: )
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:45 pm

vwlover77 wrote:We need to arrange a test driving session at Sean Gallagher's pub the next time you swing through Ohio!

He has the quintessential beetle there, mid 60's.
It could be a Volkswagen smorgasbord :alien:
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:56 pm

I've just heard somethin about torque converters exploding, or the clutch plate, I'm not sure it's been a while..but I've had 2 different people tell me they've had problems - with the Beetle anyway. What a weird solution, that whole auto stick thing.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:59 am

vwlover77 wrote:We need to arrange a test driving session at Sean Gallagher's pub the next time you swing through Ohio!

I second this.

Back to the auto trans- I drove a '77 with an auto and it shifted smoothly and was not doggy at all. I'd get it because it's a bus and well, no more are being made. You could always repair whatever it needs and sell it to someone who refuses to shift gears.

(Colin- I got you close to an inch of freeplay on my magic bus, incidentally- had the wrong amount of washers in place, it turns out)... :profileleft:
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work