74, engine diag, back to dual carbs and vac dist

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

74, engine diag, back to dual carbs and vac dist

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Might as well get the tech stuff going,, this is the best I can do right now.

Colin, you recall my 74 with alot of Heart... Well, back about 5 months ago I had to use it everyday to get to work for a bit,,and, the little oil leak amounted to alot with all that usage, like a dumb young kid which I am not,,I let it run out of oil.
It is out of the bus, I'm going to open it up this weekend and see what damage I did... It was making some funkie noises after I filled it back up with oil... While it is out of the engine I'm going to replace the Weber progresive with the orig dual carbs and the OO9 with a orig dist.... I ordered a rebuild kit for the carbs and the dist from busdepot the other day...
IE, I scored the carbs by buying an engine at an auction for $45.00.
So, as work progress', I will probably seek some help from here...

HEY, WE GOT A SPELL CHECKER ON HERE??

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:41 pm

Did it slowly drip dry or did a gallery plug blow? :-#
I have had good luck so far with donor vehicles/engines (I found a whole FI set up) so hopefully those extra parts can get you back on the road after you pop the case open.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:43 pm

Anonymous wrote:Did it slowly drip dry or did a gallery plug blow? :-#
I have had good luck so far with donor vehicles/engines (I found a whole FI set up) so hopefully those extra parts can get you back on the road after you pop the case open.
GOD BLESS AMERICA....I did it AGAIN ](*,)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Did it slowly drip dry or did a gallery plug blow? :-#
It leaked slowly while running for years. I suspected the oil cooler. Normally I could go months with very little oil lost, but that was driving it maybe once a week to work and on the weekends. Driving it everyday caught me off guard. One day I said oh, I should check the oil. The next morning I started it and drove out of the back of the yard to the front and heard a noise, quickly shut it off, checked the oil, it was about out. I filled it up, it quieted right down, I drove the 5 miles or so to work. At the end of the work day on the way home it started to make clunking noises and lost power. It still had the oil in it. I parked it and haven't driven it since. I had about 25000 miles since rebuild on it. I dropped the engine a few months ago but didn't want to split the case until I knew I could keep working on it,,IE didn't want to leave it open and parts laying around for an extended period of time. But now I am ready to fix it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:26 pm

I will be available to help you get it set up and running. When I get some desk/drawing board time, I will do the illustrated write-up on these dual carbs from installation to final tuning.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:04 am

Thanks Colin, I will keep you'll posted.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:26 am

Roofing tar, Oh shit wrong forum!

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:20 am

vdubyah73 wrote:Roofing tar, Oh shit wrong forum!

Bill
Roofing tar will work in a hack pinch.
So Bill, what would you suggest we do to kick this place up a notch and deliver a quality product?

Although I have some bizarre reputation that revolves around sandals and stinky feet, I did run a business for a decade in L.A. and Rochester NY. It was apparent to me that it is easy to out-perform the competition if you give an actual damn about your target market/audience.

What would you like to see?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 am

What would I like to see? I'd like to see the lurkers post here with out fear of being talked down to when they ask aquestion that may seem common knowledge to a person with a modicum of experience with ACVW's. I'd like to see someone like that kid russel over on the samba able to post here and be welcomed. I'd like to see a three strikes you're out rule for people that cause trouble, whether it be a troll trying to start a fight or someone just being a dick all the time. Just because someones socio/political views don't agree with yours doesn't make that person a bad person. Colin and I
(Colin prolly doesn't know this) are pretty much diametrically opposed in our socio/political views. But that doesn't make me think any less of him. I like his stories and prose. I just scroll past his commentary.
Live and let live just throw out the assholes after three strikes.

That may sound contradictory, But then again some ancient greek said "the best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship".

Moderate in moderation and I'll say it again throw the assholes out.

I hope I don't sound like an asshole!

Bill

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:23 am

Although I have some bizarre reputation that revolves around sandals and stinky feet, I did run a business for a decade in L.A. and Rochester NY
LOL....I thought the stinkfoot thing was a rather odd and misplaced association as well.

On the subject of vacuum distributors.....I just ordered my SVDA from ACN last night.......this has been an EXPENSIVE summer...jeesh :-s

I will post about my experience.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"