vent window closing mechanism thingamajig

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

vent window closing mechanism thingamajig

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:08 pm

The black plastic part tore off of my vent window. I found a replacement (that whole swinging mechanism), but wasn't sure how it's currently attached and if the ones on the late bays are replaceable or not?

It looks like two little screws go into it from below, but the one I have now looks like rivets are holding it in place.
1979 California Transporter

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: vent window closing mechanism thingamajig

Post by tristessa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm

They're riveted to the frame, you have to remove the glass and drill them out to remove the old one.

I've had some reasonable success driving out the roll pin and swapping just the lever arm from the new assembly to the existing piece on the vent window. I say "reasonable success" because the pin eventually walks its way out as you open and close the vent window, so I have to push it back in every so often. Need to find some sleeve retainer and see if that fixes it permamently.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: vent window closing mechanism thingamajig

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:26 pm

tristessa wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm
They're riveted to the frame, you have to remove the glass and drill them out to remove the old one.

I've had some reasonable success driving out the roll pin and swapping just the lever arm from the new assembly to the existing piece on the vent window. I say "reasonable success" because the pin eventually walks its way out as you open and close the vent window, so I have to push it back in every so often. Need to find some sleeve retainer and see if that fixes it permamently.
Hal's method is preferable if your window is in otherwise good shape. This method does loosen the grip of the lever on the "axle", and that promotes roll pin walkout. A drop of LocTite at the moment that you proffer the new lever/knob? When you finish driving in the roll pin on your replacement lever, you can try a nail tap to swege the roll pin at its outermost edges.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles