a lot of this going on

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

a lot of this going on

Post by iwantmybustorun » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 pm

I know there is a lot of this going on, but i have to put in my two cents.

Great site! Good job! Thank you! Keep it up! =D>

Talk about dedication. These guys (Colin) took one look at my user name and sent me a pm to see how things are going. What service, and a great personal touch.

I will be sure to tell my vdub friends about this site with great respect.

I don't care why this happened... just real glad to have the support and community of this site.

OK, enough sappy shit.
Thanks felas. :smt006
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Power on the '73 Westies., :smt066 Orange fabric rules!

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Re: a lot of this going on

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:34 am

iwantmybustorun wrote: I don't care why this happened... just real glad to have the support and community of this site.

OK, enough sappy shit.
Thanks felas. :smt006
it happened because there are still a few good people left and they happen to be dedicated to the preservation of air-cooled Volkswagens.

I am glad that this site has taken off so well! Good show, men!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:18 am

There is a lot of work to do to make this thing a user-friendly resource.

Rest assured that we will not be a touchy-feely group hug here, as so darkly alluded to at some other long-ago place whose name escapes me at-present.

Each day that I am on the road, I see how knowledge cannot be a static thing, too many curve balls thrown by the Great Mechanic In The Sky.

In the face of all of these unknowns I don't see how anyone can call themselves an "expert." So I envision a more collaborative accumulation of knowledge here, where personal experience trumps book knowledge or guru knowledge or The Way It Should Be Done knowledge.

How else can you see an engine with half of its cooling tins missing and a bum cylinder run like a horse on steroids, while a beautifully and carefully built engine with no known issues runs hot and irritably?

Every person here I invite you to share your trials and tribulations and successes so we all can build a data base of what has worked and what strange detours it may have taken to get it to work.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:28 am

Amskeptic wrote: How else can you see an engine with half of its cooling tins missing and a bum cylinder run like a horse on steroids, while a beautifully and carefully built engine with no known issues runs hot and irritably?
Colin
I remember somewhere I saw someone talking %@#@ about you Colin, basically slamming your "cobbled together engine" and teaching "half assed fixes". From what I've gleened, you give people the advice they need, not just basically tell them they need to go buy a 3liter off Raby to solve their problems. We can't all afford that! I didn't get a volks to not cobble something together (engine mounted w/ zipties, clutch x-shaft shimmed with flat washers, etc) And if these naysayers were travelling thousands of miles a week in their busses like you, I'd bet they'd run out of NOS parts and have to cobble something together too!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:48 am

There is a lot of work to do to make this thing a user-friendly resource.

Rest assured that we will not be a touchy-feely group hug here, as so darkly alluded to at some other long-ago place whose name escapes me at-present.

Each day that I am on the road, I see how knowledge cannot be a static thing, too many curve balls thrown by the Great Mechanic In The Sky.

In the face of all of these unknowns I don't see how anyone can call themselves an "expert." So I envision a more collaborative accumulation of knowledge here, where personal experience trumps book knowledge or guru knowledge or The Way It Should Be Done knowledge.

How else can you see an engine with half of its cooling tins missing and a bum cylinder run like a horse on steroids, while a beautifully and carefully built engine with no known issues runs hot and irritably?

Every person here I invite you to share your trials and tribulations and successes so we all can build a data base of what has worked and what strange detours it may have taken to get it to work.
Colin
Well said. You have a way with words. You should write a book!
Just kidding. I know.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:09 am

Goons don't realize that your "ghetto repairs" are well thought out experiments. A hack job is an entirely different situation. This is a matter of studying the raw empirical data and passing on the info to the rest of us out here, for which I am grateful.
A hack job is an unscruplous "mechanic" passing off junk/shoddy workmanship as Wolfsburg-grade.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:20 am

Thank-you Hambone. Ghettobus has just pulled into Spokane. It seems a long time ago that I was squirting Windex into the combustion chambers with a turkey baster while razor-blading the combustion chambers into a semblance of equal volumes. I am always in awe of and grateful for the miracle of internal combustion engines. Those pistons flinging back and forth hour after hour across the country, the valves clattering up the hills and down into the valleys, they were in my sink with a scotch-brite pad.
Colin :geek:
(it's running fine)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles