The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Post Reply
User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm looking to restore my 1973 Westfalia to its original dual SOLEX configuration. I'm currently running dual baby Webers on a 2.0L hydraulic engine (built by Tuttles, installed by Buslab). Although my bus runs great, I'm really wanting to get it back to it's original setup.

I'm starting this thread to document the process, and itemize all my components in preparation for Colin's visit on June 1.

Thanks Robbie for helping me get this far! So far, I have the following:

My original Dual Solex PDSIT 32-34 Carbs (restored, thanks Tim)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Original Manifolds:
Image

Correct 1973 205J DVDA distributor (Thanks Bil!)

Image
Image
Image

New Plugs (NGK B5ES) and Wires
Image

Air Cleaner, Mounting Brackets, Warm Air Intake ducting "Donut Piece",
Linkage, Balance pipe, and the original wiring harness. The other part of the
warm air intake duct is already on the bus.

Image

Vacuum Hose replacemnet kit for 1973 (via German Supply) + the 2 feet of green
Image

And finally, the correct 3655mm Accelerator cable.
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Check for the white plastic ball socket and spring inside throttle crossbar tube on the right side. It preloads the crossbar towards the left. Let me know if you have it/them.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm
Check for the white plastic ball socket and spring inside throttle crossbar tube on the right side. It preloads the crossbar towards the left. Let me know if you have it/them.
Colin
That I do not -- never seen one of these before. Anyone happen to have a source for them?
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
wcfvw69
Old School!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am

xyzzy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 am
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm
Check for the white plastic ball socket and spring inside throttle crossbar tube on the right side. It preloads the crossbar towards the left. Let me know if you have it/them.
Colin
That I do not -- never seen one of these before. Anyone happen to have a source for them?


Check with Ken at the Bus co. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... p?id=51856

He KNOWS these buses inside and out. Good guy, and fast shipping.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am
xyzzy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 am
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm
Check for the white plastic ball socket and spring inside throttle crossbar tube on the right side. It preloads the crossbar towards the left. Let me know if you have it/them.
Colin
That I do not -- never seen one of these before. Anyone happen to have a source for them?


Check with Ken at the Bus co. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... p?id=51856

He KNOWS these buses inside and out. Good guy, and fast shipping.
Thanks, message sent!

Still unable to even find a reference, or picture of this anywhere. :study: :dontknow:
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 pm

xyzzy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm
Thanks, message sent!

Still unable to even find a reference, or picture of this anywhere. :study: :dontknow:

Plan B
I have made several functional plastic sockets out of those translucent stepped RTV nozzles. We need to find a fairly robust spring that fits inside the tube.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 am

After word-smithing Google for a few hours, I think maybe I found a picture of this elusive piece -- plastic baggie in this picture:

Image

Is that it? The general idea is this spring goes into the right end of the throttle linkage tube (the left in the picture above), with the plastic socket providing preloading tension against the ball mount on the right carb mounting bracket that keeps the linkage firmly connected by pushing it into the adjacent carb mount..... A similar diameter and tension spring and a washer could even do the trick?
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
soulful66
Addicted!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by soulful66 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 am

I sourced that plastic part from Bus Boys when I converted back to dual Solex carbs. This set up idled and drove smother on mt 1973 1700cc than my 1979 2000cc F.I.
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm

soulful66 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 am
I sourced that plastic part from Bus Boys when I converted back to dual Solex carbs. This set up idled and drove smother on mt 1973 1700cc than my 1979 2000cc F.I.
Thanks for the reply. Bus Boys doesnt seem to exist anymore? I'll keep looking for the correct spring/plastic socket and go hunting at the hardware store for one that will fit in the meantime.

I'm excited about getting back to the factory Solex setup. I'm wondering if there will be any changes required for the 2L I'm running now as opposed to the factory 1700.
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Ok.. so turns out, the picture of the spring above with the original solenoids may be the spring we're talking about -- it fits in the tube perfectly, and seems like its the proper length given the missing plastic-socket piece.

Also, I've found a source for the original plastic socket piece, which with a little luck should be here in time. In case it isnt, I'll find an acceptable washer as an interim.

Thanks for the help!
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
asiab3
IAC Addict!
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by asiab3 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Hey Earle, your CIS cutoff solenoid has been lopped off, try JBugs or Paradise for local sources. Vee Parts farther down south will have them too.

Before Colin's visit, you might check the existing dual carb solenoids (with collars :) ) with 12v applied to the wire terminal and the body to the power supply negative/ground. They are required for a proper dual carb tune up.

Good luck with those carbs- I hope they run as well as they shine.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm
Hey Earle, your CIS cutoff solenoid has been lopped off, try JBugs or Paradise for local sources. Vee Parts farther down south will have them too.

Before Colin's visit, you might check the existing dual carb solenoids (with collars :) ) with 12v applied to the wire terminal and the body to the power supply negative/ground. They are required for a proper dual carb tune up.

Good luck with those carbs- I hope they run as well as they shine.
Robbie
Thanks Robbie. The carbs came back from Tim with new solenoids. Good idea on testing the original ones, I will do that.

I should have the spring/socket for the throttle linkage tube solved tomorrow, will post some updated pix.

I also got a thermostat (with pully, mounts, cable, etc) from Awesome Powdercoat, and tested it. Looking forward to installing that too!
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
wcfvw69
Old School!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Earle, you're making my purist heart go pitter patter installing all the correct pieces back on your deserving bus. I'm looking forward to hearing the report of how it runs with all the restored parts installed.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by xyzzy » Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Earle, you're making my purist heart go pitter patter installing all the correct pieces back on your deserving bus. I'm looking forward to hearing the report of how it runs with all the restored parts installed.
Thanks! I still cant get over the condition of the distributor. Very much looking forward to meeting Colin on the 1st and getting a first class education on these carbs. Will take plenty of pictures...
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
jtauxe
Addicted!
Location: Lost Almost, NM
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Goose: Converting back to Dual Solex PDSIT-32/34

Post by jtauxe » Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 pm
Plan B
I have made several functional plastic sockets out of those translucent stepped RTV nozzles. We need to find a fairly robust spring that fits inside the tube.
Colin
I don't know if you missed this, but indeed the piece fashioned from an RTV nozzle works -- Colin showed me that trick a couple of years ago, and the part is still functioning.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Post Reply