Plugged carberator passages

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Plugged carberator passages

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 am

Katherine's bus is ready to start driving. Except the accelerator pump on 1 carb is blocked. I pulled the tube that delivers the fuel into the throat. Tried carb cleaner spray penetrating oil no luck. Any suggestions before I drill out the plugs and then the passages?
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Plugged carberator passages

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 am

Soak the fully disassembled carb in Berryman's carb cleaner overnight. Then get a can of carb cleaner with the tube. Blow the passages out with the straw down the passages followed by blowing them out with compressed air.

I've had my best luck doing these steps above followed by vibrating the disassembled parts in an ultrasonic parts cleaner.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks I will try the soaking and spraying first!!!
71 bench 1915

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 am

You don't need to drill out plugs if soaking doesn't help. The plug above the main jet can be pulled out using an old VW taillight screw. Grind the unthreaded tip of the screw off and clean up with a small file. The screw will thread into the plug. Put a piece of cardboard over the edge of the bowl to protect it. Using small vicegrips or needlenose pliers to grab the screw, pry it out. Don't lose the little check ball. On the side of the carb under the pump nozzle is a brass pin. Carefully pull this out but leave nozzle on or put your finger over nozzle hole .If this pin doesn't want to come out, just leave if you have too. There is a very tiny check ball retained by the pin. Carefully dump it out in a tray or your palm. You may find either ball stuck with crud. Just keep spraying or soaking till they loosen. You can then blow the passage out clean. When clean drop larger ball in hole by main jet and seat plug with gentle taps and a small hammer. Drop tiny ball in nozzle hole and carefully replace pin. The pin retains it at lower end of passage. Good luck!

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks
71 bench 1915