Juliet, my 1978 Westy

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Juliet, my 1978 Westy

Post by russwiththebus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:43 am

Now that I feel properly welcomed, I'd like to start a general thread all about my bus, and the progress made so far.
IMG_2414.jpg
I'm happy to report the engine was installed last night. Everything went in fine, except when I touch the alternator wire to the starter post, it sparks like crazy. After researching this a little, I suspect one of the posts is making contact with the backing plate, causing a dead short to ground. This video shows it pretty well.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_thFzpyxw[/media]

So I have an extra alternator and harness, I'm going to inspect it and then do a remove and replace tonight. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report back.

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Re: Juliet, my 1978 Westy

Post by russwiththebus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Thought I would detail some other mods I've done whilst the engine was out. This is the third brake light from GoWesty. Though their kit is set up for Vanagon installs, it's easy enough to do in a bus.
IMG_2320.jpg
I've not been impressed with some of the drop-in LED bulb replacements. Because LEDs are highly directional, you usually end up with a bright center spot of the housing rather than filling the entire lens with light. This is partially due to the way the lens is designed, and Ratwell even touches a little bit on this. I've stuck with traditional bulbs in the tail light housing for now.

A third brake light in the center seems like the best solution. You get the added benefit of an instant-on bulb when you apply the brakes, and I feel like drivers aren't used to looking down at the low-mounted bus brake lights anyways. Hopefully this adds to my visibility.

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 pm

While on the subject of lighting, I did this years ago but I've been happy with the results. These Bosch H4 housings are a big improvement over the stock sealed beams. It's literally a drop-in replacement, and the H4 bulbs are the same wattage so there's no wiring modification.

Standard disclaimer though, these are not technically DOT approved. US Federal standards for headlights finally caught up to the rest of the world, but they didn't retroactively approve H4s for older vehicles. I can't say I really care, there's no headlight inspection where I live and it's much safer overall when driving at night. The old sealed beams just don't compare to these.

Also, the lenses are flat instead of curved like the sealed beams.
515975.jpg
515976.jpg

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am

Update: I swapped alternators, after inspecting the one I pulled, it indeed had a post that was too tall and making contact with the backing plate. The other alternator didn't have this condition, and also it had what looked to be a factory rubber boot over the positive wire to keep it insulated. And it was a new personal record for me pulling and replacing the alternator, about an hour.

Anyways, I moved forward with trying to start the engine, first by filling with oil and adding gas to the tank. I watched carefully underneath as I poured in each quart, there were no drips or puddles so I continued. Attempted the first start. It would turn over but not fire, as I began troubleshooting I looked underneath again and noticed a massive puddle of oil, and more dripping. It all appears to be coming from the front (front is front) where the engine mates to the transmission. This is quite worrisome since I put in a new main seal.

Tonight I'm pulling the engine again to inspect. This takes precedence right now over getting the engine to run, I think. I'll report back with what we find. Frustrating to have to remove so soon after installing, but at least it happened immediately instead of down the road somewhere.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm

russwiththebus wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am
Update: I swapped alternators, after inspecting the one I pulled, it indeed had a post that was too tall and making contact with the backing plate. The other alternator didn't have this condition, and also it had what looked to be a factory rubber boot over the positive wire to keep it insulated. And it was a new personal record for me pulling and replacing the alternator, about an hour.

Anyways, I moved forward with trying to start the engine, first by filling with oil and adding gas to the tank. I watched carefully underneath as I poured in each quart, there were no drips or puddles so I continued. Attempted the first start. It would turn over but not fire, as I began troubleshooting I looked underneath again and noticed a massive puddle of oil, and more dripping. It all appears to be coming from the front (front is front) where the engine mates to the transmission. This is quite worrisome since I put in a new main seal.

Tonight I'm pulling the engine again to inspect. This takes precedence right now over getting the engine to run, I think. I'll report back with what we find. Frustrating to have to remove so soon after installing, but at least it happened immediately instead of down the road somewhere.
Keep us posted on your discoveries. How familiar are you with the flywheel o-ring that sits in a groove inside the mounting spigot? Many purveyors of parts are lazy and just throw you a dumb seal seal when it needs the Graphite Impregnated Real Seal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I am familiar with that seal and I installed a brand new (proper) seal myself before installing the engine.

Also, I'm getting better at pulling this engine. Tonight was my record at just under an hour.

Ready for some discoveries? Here we go.
IMG_2419.jpg
See the missing plug in the lower right? That is where all my oil was coming from. Here's a closer look.
IMG_2420.jpg
Also, the threaded plug next to that? It was almost all the way backed out. If it wasn't leaking too, it surely would soon be.

So, while I wasn't thrilled about pulling the engine immediately after installing it, I'm relieved to find the culprit. And it's fixable too!

This is uncharted territory for me, I've never gotten deep into engine building but it sounds like I can tap this hole and insert a threaded plug. I'm going to read up on the way to properly fix this, any advice is appreciated.

Once complete, I can reinstall the engine and move on to making it run again. Knowing this, I suspect now that perhaps it wouldn't run because there wasn't enough oil pressure to pump up the lifters. Regardless, no further troubleshooting could take place until I tackled that major oil leak.

Today is a good day because a tube of Hylomar arrived. I used to buy some at Auto Zone on a Permatex backer card, but I haven't seen any in several years. I ordered some from Amazon so it's nice that I can keep some around. I like it on my valve cover gaskets.

I will definitely update again when the engine is sealed up and back in the bus.

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:43 am

A kit like this should cover me: http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... at=&page=1

It seems like all I need though are some 3/8-18 plugs and a 3/8-18 tap. Is it recommended to use any kind of thread sealer in there with the plugs?

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am

Not a bad price -but you can get all tht on amazon faster, i've heard mixed reviews abt german supply lately.

I would use some permatex thread sealer on the plugs.
60 beetle
78 bus

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:04 am

i would not order from german supply, read the feedback thread on the samba. ordered a hose kit from them, months went by and i had to threaten them with yet more bad feedback before they responded. ultimately sent the kit, but...
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I think I can get what I need locally, in fact one of my friends just sent me this pic.
53185911462__20A6353B-2C75-4EAD-A655-AF0B63901943.png
That's too bad about German Supply, I've ordered from him in the past and had pretty good luck.

I hope to get this plugged soon and then reinstall. I'll report back.

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 am

Good news, the hole has been tapped and plugged. I installed a new clutch disc and put everything back together. Engine going back in soon! Either tonight or this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am

So, um, have you asked your engine builder why it was that he let the engine leave his shop with a missing gallery plug?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 pm

He didn't see it. Sucks I know, and combined with some other things that have happened, I wouldn't get another engine from him.

Regardless, I still think this is a good engine and it will run. I'm close.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 pm

russwiththebus wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 pm
He didn't see it. Sucks I know, and combined with some other things that have happened, I wouldn't get another engine from him.

Who was the engine builder? Someone local or someone that we'd all know?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 am

russwiththebus wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 pm

What? What? What? What? He "didn't see" it? He didn't see it? He didn't see it?
What the . . ? He didn't see it?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles