Spare engine?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Spare engine?

Post by appetite » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello all,

Dunno if this happens to all of you, but in NJ, seeing an aircooled VW is as rare as seeing Bigfoot strolling down the street. So whenever I'm out and about in my normal routine, I'm stopped by everyone whose father/uncle/grandma/college roommate/spiritual guru/ex-girlfriend/neighbor/etc owned a bus and am regaled with stories of adventures long past. And, just as often, someone approaches me because they have a rusted body of a bus or bug in their backyard that they want to sell (or give away) and they don't know what to do with it.

So recently, a guy in town stopped me at the hardware store and said he had an engine out of a 73 or 74 Karmann Ghia that has been sitting in his garage for 10 years collecting dust that he wanted to get rid of. I haven't seen it yet, but it got me thinking: would it be worth it to have a spare engine to cannibalize for parts?

My current engine is a 71 dual port. I assume a 73 or 74 Karmann Ghia engine would have enough compatible parts to make it worth storing in the basement, right? What would such an engine be worth?

Thoughts?

James

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Re: Spare engine?

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:11 pm

It's worth a lot to me. Just putting a new long block together now and finding and acquiring all external parts is a chore. Tin, thermostat, fuel pump studs, push rods and spacer, just everything. It's nice to have those parts around.

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm

So, ballpark, how much would an engine be worth if its history is unknown? I don't know if it turns over or has a knock or anything. All I know is that it's out of a Ghia and has been sitting for 10 years. Probably has its carb, dizzy, alternator, etc. $500? More? Less?

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but here's what's out on the market:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1985788

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2079400

James

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:13 pm

appetite wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm
So, ballpark, how much would an engine be worth if its history is unknown? I don't know if it turns over or has a knock or anything. All I know is that it's out of a Ghia and has been sitting for 10 years. Probably has its carb, dizzy, alternator, etc. $500? More? Less?

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but here's what's out on the market:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1985788

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2079400

James

People are maddening. "Complete engine" means what, exactly?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:47 pm

My opinion, unless he has receipts and paperwork that document the engines history or you can fire it up on the garage floor and do a compression check, it's a core. The other factor here is the sheet metal tin, heater box, muffler and other ancillaries bolted to the long block could be rusted out junk. You said you're in New Jersey so I would assume exposure to salt/snow.

So, I wouldn't gamble more than $100 on an unknown complete engine. Hell, it could be a GEX engine too! :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Those are absurdly high prices for extremely dubious-looking engine has-beens that obviously do not run, and about which
the sellers obviously know little or nothing (ignoring the possibility of active dishonesty here, as unaccustomed to that as I am).
Barring a close-up examination to see what is actually usable (if anything), I would not offer more that $50. or so.

A spare, reliably running engine down in the basement would be immensely more valuable than any pile-o-parts core engine, and worth
investing some coin for. Engines will never get any cheaper. Your current engine will not last forever.

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks all. I will go over and take a look at the engine and report back.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

kreemoweet wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 pm
..... I would not offer more that $50. or so.....
Metal scrap value is around $100.. I sold a toasted Type IV long block abt 10 years ago (it was advertised as such) for $100. Although....I really wish I would have kept the dizzy....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::