I feel bad...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: I feel bad...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:55 am
Ah, Mike, don't take it so hard. You posted your thoughts here, knowing that people would certainly weigh in on them. Perhaps you put them down in print in order to help yourself sort out the dilemma you were facing with your friend. Also, your friend's description of the proposed camping trip being "epic" could have clued you in that perhaps he meant a long trip. We don't know what the "issues" are with your bus, and the degree of severity, but that certainly enters into the equation here. You have posted, on this forum, a topic that is really about your emotional conflict as regards your good friend's request. In doing so, please remain open to the many possible responses that may come your way. Such is the nature of forums, and human behavior. This forum is pretty much composed of thoughtful, and well balanced folks, as everyone is an air cooled aficionado. Of course, that's a matter of opinion, too.
I think you hit the nail on the head. to be honest, I really didn't expect anyone to weigh in ... it was slightly bus related, but more so, "outlook on life" related.

I bought this bus because of the way it made me feel; had one in college for about a year, and garnered enough stories to write a novel; or at least a good sized collection of short stories. When I had the opportunity 12 years ago to buy this one, I did so not to relive those memories, but to make new ones. I am a firm believer that life is about acquiring experiences.

My friend wanted an "epic" road trip for his two kids - epic defined as memorable (I wouldn't consider 400 miles each way as epic from a distance perspective). My concern about the bus breaking down had nothing to do with potential damage to the bus, but rather the safety of him and his two kids.

If it dropped a valve, or even burned to the ground on the way home at the end of the trip, and simply add an explanation point to the end of their journey, I would honestly would be okay with it (btw, I only carry liability insurance, so if it did burn down, or got into an accident, I'd have no financial recourse...Michigan is a no fault state). If the bus had the opportunity to play a role in developing fond memories of his two kids; stories that they would swap for years to come, that would be so cool to me.

So, I genuinely 'felt bad' that I had to tell my close friend it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take it more than a 3-4 hour drive away...not because I was worried about the bus, but because I was worried about their safety (and also potentially ruining their vacation). I 'felt bad' that he wouldn't be able to take a trip that his kids could tell stories of epic proportions.

In this case, the nuances about who my friend is, and his mechanical capability (or lack thereof) really didn't matter; all that mattered is that he is a close friend, and he wanted to do something really cool with his two kids....and I felt 'bad' that I couldn't facilitate this.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Rusty Sub
Getting Hooked!

Post by Rusty Sub » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Ahhh, Now I understand the post. Sounds like you got a good heart :thumbleft:
a.k.a Xevin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:04 am

Yes, I agree with Rusty Sub.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 am

Jivermo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:55 am
This forum is pretty much composed of thoughtful, and well balanced folks.
Of course, that's a matter of opinion, too.
We are? Now I am really confused.
Colin :drunken:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BayCreamPuff
I'm New!

Post by BayCreamPuff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am

I had a similar experience and was definitely conflicted. I had just finished a bunch of brake work and hadn't put enough miles on it to confidently let someone else drive it.

Less afraid of my work, but I'm sure if they were in an accident the insurance company would find me liable.

In the end I turned them down and still kind of feel bad about it.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 pm

BayCreamPuff wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am
I had a similar experience and was definitely conflicted. I had just finished a bunch of brake work and hadn't put enough miles on it to confidently let someone else drive it.

Less afraid of my work, but I'm sure if they were in an accident the insurance company would find me liable.

In the end I turned them down and still kind of feel bad about it.
I called my friend back and said look, if you take the back roads, and take it at an easy 55-60, won't be so hard on the engine, and you will probably be able to make your epic trip. So we will see. I will retorque the manifold nuts, provide him with my special socket that has been ground down to make the clearance on the stud that is not quite sticking out the way it should, along with my torque wrench, lock-tite, etc. and say bon-voyage!
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: I feel not so bad...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Just as a follow up....My friend did take the bus camping with his kids...not quite the epic trip that he had planned, but - based on the pictures he sent me, they had loads of fun, and lots of smiles.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: I feel not so bad...

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:25 pm
Just as a follow up....My friend did take the bus camping with his kids...not quite the epic trip that he had planned, but - based on the pictures he sent me, they had loads of fun, and lots of smiles.

Cheers,
Mike

Sounds like Life. It happens, not quite as epic as we plan. The eclipse was good.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles