We need more trip reports!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

We need more trip reports!

Post by covelo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:01 pm

I am not complaining about the high level of technical relevance of this forum, but I would like to see more trip reports as well. Especially for unfortunate individuals like myself who are stuck in the office with this beautiful summer weather :( .

(We are going to Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes this weekend and I will post about it next week.)
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:14 pm

Do trips out to work on my bus count [-o<

I'll try to post some past reports with pics and everything. maybe we need a trip reports section.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:31 pm

In the spirit of a "how-to" forum I would especially like trip reports that have details about things like steep hills, camping spots, driving distances, restaurants, hot springs, etc. (unless of course you want to keep some of these a secret). Photos aren't even always necessary and they could even include trips you didn't originally make with your bus but would make with your bus if you did them again.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:27 pm

It's been a fairly uneventful summer here. This weekend is our first trip of the summer. To the Northwest String Summit! Great music, good times and usually a few busses to see.
-John \:D/
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:21 pm

I am dumping my little trip notes in the Itinerant Air-Cooled section unless you want them here. For example, there is no prettier drive after Chicago traffic than the Rte 61 from Iowa through Wisconsin to Minnesota. To see real actual working farms dotted on the landscape with no big box malls to be seen and no 6,000 sq ft meadow mansions, pure joy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bob D.
Getting Hooked!

Post by Bob D. » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:30 am

Whatever section is deemed appropriate, I think more trip notes would be a GREAT idea.

Reading about the fun part of other people's adventures (cool destinations, good pics, etc.) can be a lifesaver over the long Winter or if your bus is off the road for a while, and the kind of technical challenges and tips that can only be gleaned from long road trips can be hugely helpful to others. Sounds like the kind of topic for which a forum like this is designed.

I'll begin by tossing out a quick tech tip: when driving in the mountains, especially if you are not used to doing so, the more you watch the RPMs and check the oil, the better. Do NOT ask me how I know. #-o
1978 7-Passenger Bus
37k miles
SOLD

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:42 am

Gearing up for a big journey with our real spiffy rig. Sure to post many details so stay tuned. :dhappy:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:31 am

CoPilot1978 wrote:Gearing up for a big journey with our real spiffy rig. Sure to post many details so stay tuned. :dhappy:

I got one of those 'spiffys' too \:D/
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:34 am

Bob D. wrote:Whatever section is deemed appropriate, I think more trip notes would be a GREAT idea.

Reading about the fun part of other people's adventures (cool destinations, good pics, etc.) can be a lifesaver over the long Winter or if your bus is off the road for a while, and the kind of technical challenges and tips that can only be gleaned from long road trips can be hugely helpful to others. Sounds like the kind of topic for which a forum like this is designed.

I'll begin by tossing out a quick tech tip: when driving in the mountains, especially if you are not used to doing so, the more you watch the RPMs and check the oil, the better. Do NOT ask me how I know. #-o
Yep. Your bus's twin has made the trip to CA and back from CO twice now. Keeping the revs up and watching the oil makes it possible.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:19 am

Well, I'm in the middle of planning a 3 week road trip with 2 other westys... \:D/

Still no destination decided upon, but we're leaning towards the Kootanays then up through the Rockies. (I'll be the slow one, the other 2 are a vanagon and a Eurovan) Maybe take in Glacier Park. Dunno - Planned departure after the kiddies go back to school...
Love your bus.

77 Westy