It's amazing what a IAC visit can do for motivation...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

It's amazing what a IAC visit can do for motivation...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm

..both before and after the visit. I purchased a half day to do a window reinstall (mind you I bought the seal 10 years ago) forced me to get busy and get the surface rust fixed and the front end repainted. And I figured "while I was in there..." heck, lets pull the windshield wipers out and lube 'em up. Now they are much more frisky.

When I was putting the dash back together from pulling the wiper motor and transmission, I figured heck, let's get these speaker wires wired up correctly (PO did a complete hatchet job....seriously must have been guessing). WOW! not that I ever listen to the radio when I'm driving the bus, but man, it sounds 100% better. Also got my glove box installed all nice and tight... don't think the metal strap was connected at the top before... it was kinda jouncy.

Now that the front end is all nice and shiny, I started to buff out the OG paint to match. Did the front doors, she is really turning the corner aesthetically.

Unfortunately, I think I'm about at the end of the useful life of the heads; only have about 5.5 functioning exhaust manifold studs. I ordered some more 8/10 step studs and am hoping to get that to a solid 6.5 or possibly 7 (on stud boss is broken, ergo not fixable) to get me through a camping trip or two this summer.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: It's amazing what a IAC visit can do for motivation...

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm
..both before and after the visit. I purchased a half day to do a window reinstall (mind you I bought the seal 10 years ago) forced me to get busy and get the surface rust fixed and the front end repainted. And I figured "while I was in there..." heck, lets pull the windshield wipers out and lube 'em up. Now they are much more frisky.

When I was putting the dash back together from pulling the wiper motor and transmission, I figured heck, let's get these speaker wires wired up correctly (PO did a complete hatchet job....seriously must have been guessing). WOW! not that I ever listen to the radio when I'm driving the bus, but man, it sounds 100% better. Also got my glove box installed all nice and tight... don't think the metal strap was connected at the top before... it was kinda jouncy.

Now that the front end is all nice and shiny, I started to buff out the OG paint to match. Did the front doors, she is really turning the corner aesthetically.

Unfortunately, I think I'm about at the end of the useful life of the heads; only have about 5.5 functioning exhaust manifold studs. I ordered some more 8/10 step studs and am hoping to get that to a solid 6.5 or possibly 7 (one stud boss is broken, ergo not fixable) to get me through a camping trip or two this summer.

Please drill out the flanges if they have not already been drilled out. I would use a tap to clean the holes in the heads with the exchanger in place to make sure you pilot the hole. That requires a little tape on the tap to control your depth. Use a drill bit to establish the actual depth of the stud hole while the exchanger is off. Mark it and transfer to the tap. Now add the depth of the flange to the tap. Install heat exchanger with whatever remaining studs you have. You want it flush to the ports but not cranked down. Tap until tape meets the edge of the flange.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:12 pm

It is amazing! My son, now 13, is all excited about busses after Colin's visit. He got his first "drive the bus down the driveway" lesson yesterday, and was quite excited about it.

Pulled the Orange '79 Sunroof not-a-parts-bus out of the barn and started cleaning it. This was my year-round daily driver from 1995 to 2002. As I was getting ready to start building the dome, I blew the exhaust valve on #3 and it has sat since then. My son has always had his eye on this one. Hopefully we'll work on it together with the aim of it hitting the road some time next summer.

=== Edited to re-add photo after Photobucket bailed on me ===

DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Looks pretty solid for a Michigan bus ... you'd be surprised how well the OG paint cleans up (looks OG). Bummer the exhaust valve dropped, but cool that your son is catching the bug!
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Colin's visit gave me the impetus to finally paint the front of the bus in prep of the window seal replacement....

Waxed her for the first time since I bought it....it's been over 12 years....
Must admit, very impressed how well the OG paint shined up...
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 am

Beautiful paint work; remind me again why I didn't get to see it beforehand at Roak last year?? Or did I see it, and was the bed just too plentiful??

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:05 am

Because I didn't drive it.... I knew I would be having a few beers, so I took a Lyft, and my wife swung by later and we rode home together.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:34 pm

drober23 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:12 pm
Image[/URL]
I see the Photobucket ransom has found you and you now have a dead link. Either pay 400/year or find another photo-hosting service. Did I mention that I hate those scum-sucking leeches as bad as pharmaceutical companies and cable companies?
Colin

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:45 am

It's on the list... Too bad you missed it, it is a nice picture. When I sort the picture thing out I'll post one of the interior cleaned up with the middle seat installed.

By the way, Troll those are great pictures of your bus.
DJ

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 am

Ok, trying out Imgur for photos. Here's the interior one I mentioned.

DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 am

drober23 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 am
Ok, trying out Imgur for photos. Here's the interior one I mentioned.

Restore that bus! (I'll do the headliner)
Colin