What's consensus on best reasonable body shop in Pdx?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

What's consensus on best reasonable body shop in Pdx?

Post by Marya70Riviera » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi. Sbeen a while. I'd like to get one or two battery trays replaced as well as corners or quarter panels (at least one there tho 2 might end up being cheaper rather than filling in damage on one, I dunno), and then one rusty spot under a window repaired. I can't afford to have the bus repainted so will just prime replaced/repaired areas.

Where should I go to have them cut out and weld-in new pieces? I wish Colin did that work. 😆 All I know of so far in Portland are Sam's Auto Body and Steve's Imports. Only one of them will allow me to buy the metal panels myself though and I'm sure there'll be a big markup if they provide. Any places you know of?

Also, what places sell the good thick sturdy metal like the original if I do buy pieces myself? I know one in South America sells green colored metal that's supposed to be good tho I don't remember who they are. Anywhere else to also look into?

Lastly, where in Portland area should I look for a new sliding door? And is it true that most of the time a replacement door won't fit well/slide well? The work to repair the rust damage under its window would be pretty damned expensive to repair I'm afraid...I'll have the body shop look at it though.

Thanks guys!
Marya

zabo
Old School!

Re: What's consensus on best reasonable body shop in Pdx?

Post by zabo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: What's consensus on best reasonable body shop in Pdx?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:17 am

Marya70Riviera wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:10 pm
A) Where should I go to have them cut out and weld-in new pieces? I wish Colin did that work. 😆

B) what places sell the good thick sturdy metal like the original if I do buy pieces myself?

C) is it true that most of the time a replacement door won't fit well/slide well?

a) I do, with my Japanese rice rocket helmet wearing personal criminal defense lawyer welding partner:

B) Not pretty, but serviceable. And that goes for you, thin battery tray with a strong perimeter mounting will be fine. I kept the 1/2" edge of my original badly rusted tray intact, so the new tray is actually sort of sitting on a full perimeter ledge.

C) a good door with no hidden damage will close as nicely as can be, it is all about proper installation and adjustment.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles