'84 Vanagon soft brake pedal, after bleeding.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

'84 Vanagon soft brake pedal, after bleeding.

Post by Jivermo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:36 am

I have some good folks visiting with me, who have been living and traveling in their Vanagon for 40 months. They had their front wheel bearings replaced up the road a bit, by a jackleg mechanic, who did not remove the brake lines when he did the front wheel work. Nonetheless, they have had a soft pedal since the work was done (only about 80 miles since). This morning, we bled the system properly, from the passenger rear wheel, etc. We got the pedal quite firm, and I was optimistic. The road test proved otherwise, and the soft pedal was back immediately. As the began at the same time as the wheel bearing work, I know that it is related. Any clue as to where to look next?
I also had the folks reorder the axle nut that has the peening lock device, which I understand is not to be used a second time. Any other stuff we ought to be looking at?

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: '84 Vanagon soft brake pedal, after bleeding.

Post by cegammel » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Did you adjust the rears? Check the master for leaks? I have had hell with my brake firmness...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:43 am

Jivermo wrote:I have some good folks visiting with me, who have been living and traveling in their Vanagon for 40 months. They had their front wheel bearings replaced up the road a bit, by a jackleg mechanic, who did not remove the brake lines when he did the front wheel work. Nonetheless, they have had a soft pedal since the work was done (only about 80 miles since). This morning, we bled the system properly, from the passenger rear wheel, etc. We got the pedal quite firm, and I was optimistic. The road test proved otherwise, and the soft pedal was back immediately. As the began at the same time as the wheel bearing work, I know that it is related. Any clue as to where to look next?
I also had the folks reorder the axle nut that has the peening lock device, which I understand is not to be used a second time. Any other stuff we ought to be looking at?

If the jackleg mechanic caused this, you would see wetness in the brake hose/connections/metal lines, calipers. Wetness. If it is all dry, then no. I don't remove brake lines when i do wheel bearings. i hang the calipers with coat hangers, but leave the brake lines intact.
It is classic Vanagon self-adjuster behavior, to ruin the pedal firmness quickly. The adjuster lever and spring must be correctly oriented and snug, or the adjuster bar just unspools itself.
See the post about the miz visit in Minneapolis area.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 am

Can't locate that Miz thread.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Jivermo wrote:Can't locate that Miz thread.
Sorry. It really is not as informative as it should be.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13104

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm

After many hours of frustrating labor, a new master cylinder, and a half GALLON of brake fluid used up, we have located the problem! 1980-early 1984 Vanagons have a smaller inside diameter of the outer wheel bearing than later 1984 and up.

The mechanic who installed the bearings missed this tidbit, and installed later larger inner diameter bearings on the Vanagon. This was making us crazy, until Peter from Vancafe suggested that we check out that detail. He said that he had run into that problem at some point. We got the right bearings, installed them, and...Fantastic brakes now! What a crazy thing! Well, I learned a lot from this entire experience! Thanks, Colin, for offering to come down, but I'm pleased we did not have to resort to that. I wanna see you in February or so...for some FUN work!

Late '84 and up front wheel bearing on left; 80 through early '84 on right. Don't get 'em mixed up! Chassis number will tell you what your Vanagon takes.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:16 pm

One last note on this thing...We notified the jackleg mechanic of our findings and corrective action, and he immediately said that he was sending a full refund. That was unexpected.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Jivermo wrote:One last note on this thing...We notified the jackleg mechanic of our findings and corrective action, and he immediately said that he was sending a full refund. That was unexpected.
The safety, reliability, liability, and personal shame responsibilities would very much suggest that he would want to put as many miles between himself and you all.

Today, I discovered that the local Nissan Altima driveshaft replacement shop had "forgot" to torque the axle nut about three weeks ago. The front wheel bearings, as a result, suffered a lot of play. The tire shop convinced my sister-in-law that she needed front wheel bearings replaced. Both companies got a personal call from MOI, HAH? Whassamatteryou??
Colin