Hello all ye out there in bus land. I'm back!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mycoleptodiscus
I'm New!

Hello all ye out there in bus land. I'm back!

Post by mycoleptodiscus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, I just sold my '85 Volvo 740 TD wagon, my wife started working as a nurse (making more than me with a master's degree and 4 years of teaching experience thank you very much), we realized we will only need $200 worth of child care a month and it's time to tak eanother look at the bus. She's in storage for the winter, but I plan to drop the engine over my spring break (first week in April). Fortunately, with Colin's tutilage, my wife and I learned how to drop the engine with relative ease. Unfortunately, my auto tranny still leaks like a seive. For those of you who don't know, we're plannign on hitting the road in the '78 Westy in 3 year's time to tour the country for a year.

I am considering getting a Boston Bob rebuilt motor ($2000) and then having the tranny rebuilt. I guess the idea is that the sooner we get the bus fully functional, the more time we have to enjoy camping in her. When I sit and add up the various costs for parts, etc. I just don't see the point of rebuilding myself...

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:24 am

welcome back :D

Where does the tranny leak from? If its just the bottom of the pan, its an easy fix. From the axles, slightly more difficult. from the governor, easy again... from between the two halves of the tranny - easy, but you have to take the tranny out. same goes for the torque converter seal.

Having said that, a professionally rebuilt tranny will put your mind at rest..
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

mycoleptodiscus
I'm New!

Tranny

Post by mycoleptodiscus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm

Well, my tranny had so much c-rap all over it that Colin and I took a putty knife to it so it was reallyhard to tell where the leak was coming from, but I thought, from looking at fresh ATF trails, that it might be the torque converter seal. I put in a new torque converter seal and bushing, new rubber O-ring in between the tranny and diff and new paper gaskets. I also replaced the filler neck as I was not happy with the compression fitting seal between it and the pan. I did the pan gasket and screen as well. My problem is that it takes about 30 seconds to go into gear after sitting in a while. In all other respects it works great. I think it needs an internal overhaul and then maybe a new pan as the one I have had taken a hit at some point and one of the lips on the pan is bent.

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:22 pm

Hey Ross,

Nice to see you back in action. I have been hibernating for the winter too (along with my bus).

let me know when you plan to drop your engine. maybe i can come lend a hand.

later,
Berd
1977 VW Westfalia Campmobile
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission