I am driving (indefinitely) across the country!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

I am driving (indefinitely) across the country!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:23 am

Hi folks,

As some of you learned in a PM this week, I'm taking a trip across the USA soon. For every reason I can think of, I need to do it before I'm too old and tied down to have an indefinite adventure. Right now, I have a rough schedule and rough locations picked out, mostly centered by friends and family that have scattered across the country. I'm not sure if I'll end up staying a while in the Midwest or around the East Coast, but I know this won't be a quick sprint to get there and back. I'll be spending half a week here and there, with not a ton of time spent in between cities.

For those of you with plenty of time on your hand, I'm beginning to post my thoughts and ideas on bus living over on my blog. It's called "What the Road Tells Me," and it's verbose with a few pictures thrown in here and there. I also have my rough schedule outlined…

http://theroadtells.com

I will NOT be going through nine engines. I will NOT be gathering donations for parts and then not spending the money on parts. I will NOT be posting cute little web videos to gain subscribers. This trip is for me, not the internet. :king:

The trip is mostly financed with the purchase, improvements, and sale of the '76 fuel-injected bus this year. However, I am not above "day laboring," so if anybody here needs help with house work, yard work, automobile work, or general labor stuff, feel free to get ahold of me on here or by email with your needs. I don't ask for much, maybe a hot shower or a home-cooked meal!

If you have any recommendations of roadside or other scenic waypoints worth hitting, PLEASE let me know. Traveling by myself affords me the flexibility to do pretty much anything within reason. Here is a rough proposal of my route:

I won't be ending in DC like the map says, but I will be visiting some friends there. I'll probably make it as far North as Connecticut before leaving the North in fear of road salt this winter.

I hope I can meet a few (or more!) of you fine folks on the road.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: I am driving (indefinitely) across the country!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 am

If the travel agrees with you, and you decide to continue down into South Florida, and the Keys, I can put you up in the cottage for awhile. I guess you're referring to Ben, of Hasta Alaska, about the 9 engines and video. I've contributed to Ben's trip, and have enjoyed his adventure videos a great deal. It doesn't bother me where he spends the money; i gave it with no strings-I simply like the idea of what he's doing. I'll follow your trip, and wish you well.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 am

http://ashfall.unl.edu/index.html

Well you have to go here since you are driving right by it anyway.....how often do you see a bunch of prehistoric rhinos in Nebraska anyway?
79 VW Bus

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 am

As I mentioned on your Samba thread, we'd be happy to host a visit on your way through Madison, WI....food, beer, shower, bed, lots of guitars, bus maintenance....

Happy trails...

-Tim
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:12 pm

My bother spent 2 years on the road always in good weather. His motto was: Follow the sun not a map.
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Good on you. Sounds like a great plan.

You must visit Devil's Tower on your way through E. Wyoming. It's a spiritual ground zero type of place.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 pm

...while in MN, if you should venture north of 90 on 35 (it's only an hour or so to the cities), drop a line...we could have a beer and talk travel and VW!
Bon Voyage...or more appropriately: Gute Fahrt!
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Robbie,

Hope we can meet when you come through Madison, WI. THall lives close to me and he's already offered food and lodging but we have empty beds, food, and beer too. Hope you have a blast on your trip! Let us know if you need anything.

Mike
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:52 am

This sounds great! Congrats on taking on a big adventure! Travel changes you. You grow in ways you can't imagine and you will look back at this the rest of your life in wonder.

I see you have Detroit on your itinerary. I'm around there and have a bunch of work for you to do it you're looking for something at that time :-) , both VW related and otherwise. And even if you aren't looking for labor we'd be happy to have you by for dinner and a pit stop.

DJ Roberts
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for the kind replies everyone! I have a few important family and friend meet-ups between Oregon and Detroit, so I will do my best to post my more definite schedule here when the time comes. As of right now, I'm leaving Spokane on the 25th, and hope to be in Detroit by August 7th. I have never driven a bus across the 90, so we'll see how we do across the Great Divide!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 pm

If you are going to b e in the Dirty D (Detroit) seriously, let me know. I live in SCS (Saint Clair Shores) which, if you are not familiar with the area, about 4 miles north of Detroit on the East side. We have room to crash, and if you need to wrench on your bus, i have a heated garage (in case you get here between november and february), and pretty good stock of automotive tools.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 pm

I don't see much on your schedule between Rapid and Chicago...not surprising. If you want a good pit stop (just slightly) off the beaten I-90 path, you're always welcome. Beer, food, space, vw (and volvo) projects a plenty...

Andrew

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replies again, everyone. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast, let alone remember to post on multiple forums at once. My technical travel diary will be here for the reading.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... &start=180

My travel musings will still be hosted at the original posted website. Feel free to comment here!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.