Colin's next project...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Colin's next project...

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Just noting. I mean if you are going to stray from stock, you might as well go all out.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ErniePunkin
I'm New!

Post by ErniePunkin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:20 am

Bleyseng wrote:Sounds like a fun project and nothing beats South American wood for cabinets.
Thanks for supporting the idea of SA wood. I'm so happy I stumbled across photos on-line of canarywood. Had never heard of it before. It was actually really hard to find because most vendors were out of stock except for odd ball pieces. We got lucky in that a large shipment, first in 3 years arrived as we started this. We had to have the lumber shipped from Georgia because that was the only vendor I could find who let us pick our boards via email/internet.
Busy building a better Ernie.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:41 am

I'm redoing my interior, and have been thinking about the Westy cabinet design. I like the under the seat storage, and I like the head banger cabinet. Going down the interior behind the driver, though, I am not thrilled with the design. Since my refrigerator is kaput, I'm going to remove that. I'm interested in other design ideas that provide possible options to more efficient use of the space, while cutting down on built in weight, as well.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 am

I made a simple cabinet to hold my spare tire and a Propex heater, with a second lower cabinet to act as a seat (not while driving) and to hold my toolbox/jack. The seat is level with the folding bed when opened. I don't have any particular carpentry skill, but I am not afraid of failure :-)

This works very well for us. We use the under-seat storage for clothing, and the space behind the folding bed for other supplies while camping. When we fold out the bed, the items behind the seat go on the floor under the bed. We have a refrigerator where the cooler is in the second picture (we LOVE the refrigerator).

One dog sleeps on the extra seat, and the other sleeps on the main bed with us. The boy gets punted into the upper bed. Works out great.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:05 pm

these are the kinds o f posts I was hoping to attract....where's the popcorn :happy1:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:02 pm

I wish someone would help me post pictures
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.