Dilemma--Get rid of the '74 hardtop camper and replace it with a '78 pop-top?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Dilemma--Get rid of the '74 hardtop camper and replace it with a '78 pop-top?

Post by jimbear » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:52 pm

I have a dilemma. A friend is selling her '78 Champagne Westy. I am reluctant to give the exact price publicly--under $10k. I have a '74 original hardtop Westy that Colin would attest to the quality thereof; they would appear to be of like quality. My friend is in no hurry to sell. Pics and description are below. What would you do? Feedback appreciated. Please let me know if the pics work. I can't tell from work.

From my friend:
The vw is a 78. I bought it off of the samba in '08 for $8,000. It was in Colorado. Sight unseen, I had it shipped here. I got really lucky in retrospect. I have no way to verify the info, but here is what I was told (I still have the original printout from the guy I bought it from).

"Restored to look and drive great...not missing anything (has table, nets, power cord, cot). Fuel injected 2.0 liter. 10000 miles since rebuild. Full tune up. New exhaust. Engine runs great, transmission smooth. New brake pads. No pulling. 90% tread on tire. Inside repaired. Sink and stove not hooked up. Cabinet veneer needs replacing. Seat covers replaced. No radio. Electrical all works. New exterior paint. Etc ... Ready to be driven.

I can copy it and send to you. It's 4 pages long

i watched it on ebay for a month and it sold for $8300. For some reason it didn't go through and it was resisted on the samba. I bought it for 8k.

When it arrived I found most everything to be true, except it was REALLY wobbly to drive. Finally found out the wheel bearings were not installedt properly. got them fixed. Had a strong gasoline smell. Found a crack in the gas tank and replaced it. Used it then unfair ably for 4 years, just to local music festivals and only had 1 issue... Some unknown source was draining the battery. Rather than find out what it was, I installed a switch on the battery to shut it off when I wasn't using it. I probably put less than 500 miles on it. Never hooked up the camp equipment (that was next on the list). Drove it into the garage running perfectly in the spring of '12 when I found out I was pregnant and there it has sat ever since. Last summer we pulled it out and couldn't start it up. Had it pulled to a shop in :shaking2: :shaking2: and haven't heard from the guy since.

UPDATE 6/1: Mechanic got it running...

'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

zabo
Old School!

Re: Dilemma--Get rid of the '74 hardtop camper and replace it with a '78 pop-top?

Post by zabo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:43 pm

looks sweet. I would get tht if you can.
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Dilemma--Get rid of the '74 hardtop camper and replace it with a '78 pop-top?

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Is the question should you buy it for 8-10,000? If you can afford it, and want it, why not? Bothersome to see where they used a chain over the front bumper, and bent it out some. Come on, people. Looks like a nice bus. Just needs to be fixed, cared for and driven.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:55 am

It's a CE so buy it and restore it to it's glory. The best layout for camping vs a tintop.....These days it's $15k westy. Put the rubbers back on the chrome bumpers.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:24 am

Jim your tintop is very nice, but if you would get more use from the pop-top I think that is the way to go. We are camping this weekend so either way.....hurry up.
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:09 pm

To clarify, I would need to sell the '74, an easy task I think.
'74 Hardtop Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:54 am

jimbear wrote:To clarify, I would need to sell the '74, an easy task I think.
Have you contacted Vdubtech? I wish I was not so slammed. I have an appointment at my storage barn where the guy is driving to me because I sure can't drive to him.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Have you contacted Vdubtech? I wish I was not so slammed. I have an appointment at my storage barn where the guy is driving to me because I sure can't drive to him.
Colin
why cant you drive? did i miss something?

Jim drive the tintop up to the show at the speedway tomorrow. im sure you could get it sold fast if you wanted...
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:37 pm

zabo wrote: why cant you drive? did i miss something?
Yeah, you did. My schedule. I will be working on the Lincoln/Mercedes/Squareback while he does his Itinerant chores between lessons and theory and practicuums. Then I bail for Pennsylvania.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:38 am

And? Did we buy it and have the tin top on the market, or did we choose current state? Inquiring minds want to know. :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:17 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Come on Jim, don't leave us hanging. What direction are you leaning?!
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:48 pm

OK. So, I am squaring some things out on the '74 currently. My friend is in no hurry and I will be checking the bus out in a few weeks when I get to NY for vacation. If it is what it appears to be I will likely list the '74, give her some good faith $ and she'll likely wait for me to sell. Kind of a perfect situation...fingers crossed.
'74 Hardtop Westy

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 am

I hope you get it, but, if for some reason your deal falls through, you could give the folks on this website a shot at buying it from her.