Thanks for adding me... and my projects

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Thanks for adding me... and my projects

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 am

Sneaks wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am
So, while waiting for everything to dry out some, I started on the interior
Next will be to figure out where to get some Osphos around here and treat all the spots before paint. Considering Sport of Kings wasn't their best album, I can see why no one bothered to dig it out until now...

half the fun, right?
You have a full plate on your plate. :scratch:

Sorry about the weather conspiring against the Osphos.

Sport of Kings, now you're rocking.

Me? Silver wheels . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:08 pm

The weather the last few months has not been helpful. I did get the major bodywork completed, but I have a lot of smoothing and sanding still to do before can even think of paint. Unfortunately, while wet sanding is in the cards, I'd prefer not to use rain as the "wet." Since the high temp the last two weeks has been 58F, not sure paint is going to happen before snow flies :(. So, I did some interior stuff to keep motivated, think this weekend I'll switch to mechanicals if I get the seats back in by then.
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
Felt on the kick panels and the rear panels where I had no original vinyl.
IMG_4312.JPG
Floor button switch is for the air horn tucked up front :)
IMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG
Started cleaning up the rubber mat for the passenger area:
IMG_4315.JPG
And cleaned up, reglued, and reinforced the original panels that were salvageable:
IMG_4311.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG
And tried to make the bumpers look presentable until I can source a better pair:
IMG_4322.JPG
The better half says this decal can stay:
IMG_4252.JPG
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Sneaks wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:08 pm
The weather the last few months has not been helpful.
Since the high temp the last two weeks has been 58F, not sure paint is going to happen before snow flies

I agree. That is why I left the northeast on September 2nd to go find heat and sunshine so I too could paint:

Keep up the good work. What is your final exterior color choice?
Colin

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks :) Going back to stock - pastel white, and reef blue. It's funny how as I get older, the need for attention lessens :). I liked the yellow when I had it, now it gives me anxiety. Going back to stock takes care of that, plus makes it much easier since I don't have to worry about old colors showing up in hidden places. I'm still planning on an interior that works better for my needs, been hunting around for someone parting out a Westy to grab the bed, cushion, and possibly a cabinet (though not a deal breaker, I can build one if I need it), and keep the OEM seats in storage with the rubber mat for when it leaves my possession. The black basket weave on the seats is in quite good condition for the age.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:46 am

Hey Sneaks,

I have a westy bed and back cushion from my old 77. I'm in NJ, which is a hike from you (Maine?), but if you are ever in the orbit, I'd part with it for a reasonable price.

James

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:11 pm

appetite wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:46 am
Hey Sneaks,

I have a westy bed and back cushion from my old 77. I'm in NJ, which is a hike from you (Maine?), but if you are ever in the orbit, I'd part with it for a reasonable price.

James
Thanks, we make trips down that way, sorta (NY) a few times a year. I'll touch bases the next time we head that way and see what can work out.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Sounds good.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Sneaks wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Thanks :) Going back to stock - pastel white, and reef blue.

Good for you!
ColinThirtyYearsOfBlueandWhite

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Is it spring yet???? Grrrrrrrrrr.
2017-02-13 10.50.24.jpg
I'm sooooo sick of winter. I need a garage :(. I haven't been completely idle though, ordered up tires (LT195-8.5/R14 8ply, D-range A\Ts)
s-l1600.jpg
a pair of big ol' school 100w off road lights
613rxvGtxZL._SL1000_.jpg
complete window seal kit, new roller and guide for the slider, new soft lines for brakes, pads\shoes\hardware, shocks, muffler, tune-up bits, engine seal, battery charge isolator switch, second battery tray, second fuse panel, arm, leg, one ear (better half says I don't use them anyway), and eye teeth.

I want warm weather. NOW.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:35 pm

What tires are those? I like the look and tread depth... I’ve gotten stuck on my last two camping trips and I’m considering buying a pair of rims and more aggressive tires for desert trail driving.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:35 pm
What tires are those? I like the look and tread depth... I’ve gotten stuck on my last two camping trips and I’m considering buying a pair of rims and more aggressive tires for desert trail driving.

Robbie
Yes, inquiring minds would like to know . . .

How stuck, Robbie, and with what tires? Could you extricate yourself eventually or did you have to get a tow?
Colin

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 am

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie
Starfires, a division of Cooper Tires so have the potential to be decent. I am getting them off Ebay (LT195/75R14 aka 26-8R14 in non-metric) for $300 for 4 with free shipping, I don't see any more 8 ply on there today but there's 6 ply (C Range) available from the same seller as well as in a couple of different places on the web in 14". Watch out when looking at these, there's ST510s and SF510s. the ST are TRAILER tires, no bueno. SF are LTs.
s-l1600ee.jpg
Link to an active ebay listing for them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-New-Tires- ... SwjIVaU~Ht

Link to a regular web retailer that shows 14" in the drop down (LT type far right) but also "call for availability":

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tir ... ire-tires/

And apparently you can get them from Summit too but the tread pattern looks slightly different and are listed as an AS, not AT:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/COO- ... gLvMPD_BwE
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Sneaks wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 am
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie
Starfires, a division of Cooper Tires so have the potential to be decent. I am getting them off Ebay (LT195/75R14 aka 26-8R14 in non-metric) for $300 for 4 with free shipping, I don't see any more 8 ply on there today but there's 6 ply (C Range) available from the same seller as well as in a couple of different places on the web in 14". Watch out when looking at these, there's ST510s and SF510s. the ST are TRAILER tires, no bueno. SF are LTs.
Knowing how there is brand-switching all over the place, I was looking to see if those had the same sipes as my Maxxis 751s, but they are different. Cooper, aye? Where are these Starfires built?

Google sez, "Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires."
My Maxxis tires are *allegedly* trailer tires, but I like em as LT tires.
Colin

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:06 am

Interesting on the ST vs SF. That might open up some options. Hmmmm. Nice find, Colin :).

As for the Starfires, this is what I found on them:

"Starfire takes pride in the fact that they manufacture and test in the US and come covered with a lifetime nationwide warranty against defects."

Apparently Cooper, Starfire, Mickey Thompson, Roadmaster (yes, Sears :) ), Dick Cepek, and Mastercraft are Cooper brands made in either Findley, OH, Texarkana, AR, Tulepo, MS, Clarksdale, MS, El Salto, Mexico, for the North American market. Avon are produced in the UK for Europe as well as Cooper brands in Serbia, and the Dean heavy truck popular in Asia are made in China.

Mastercraft, Roadmaster, and Starfire were China-produced up until 2011 before returning to the US. They also own 11% of Kuhmo. I have Mastercrafts on the Liberty and have been pleased with them. Time will tell on the Starfires but I'm optimistic. I liked the BFGs but they are so old I just don't trust them.

Then next 10 days area gonna be like Xmas as daily I'm expecting packages from Rock Auto, CIP1, West Coast Metric, and Bus Depot. That also means that the better half is getting deliveries of hair, knitting, and fashion products of equal value. I know how to keep the peace :D
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:34 am

I need to move someplace not Maine. This is getting old. I have boxes of stuff on my porch waiting to go into the bus but this week we got another 9" of snow. It's slowly melting again after a week of mid-30s temps last week. Pisses me off as now it is light out until after 7pm, I'M MISSING OUT ON WRENCH\WELD TIME, DAMNIT!!
IMG_4548.JPG
'79 Transporter "Ducky"