sliding door assembly/lube

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

sliding door assembly/lube

Post by jackstar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:32 pm

I am attempting to reassemble my 79 sliding door and lube it properly as well. Suggestions on what/how much/type of lube to use? Thanks. Suggestions on a tutorial as to where to start on assembly would be nice too.

Jack

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: sliding door assembly/lube

Post by Jivermo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Colin and I just did mine. He pointed out that my square nylon sliding block was completely shot. I got a new one from BD, which is a major fix right there if yours is worn out. It is grooved and slides along a rail that you'll see. That rail should be free of paint and crud that interferes with an easy glide. A little grease or oil on the rail is a good idea. The upper roller should ride in the top groove of the ceiling, without being in danger of riding out (mine was close to). You can figure out how to adjust the screws mounting the roller holder mechanism to the door, up top. The lower floor track should be clean and waxed, and the roller assemblies oiled with motor oil or light oil. The door should be adjusted so that the curved body sections, mid section, are lined up as nicely as possible. The gap on my door where it begins the slide is about 1/4" when closed...on my particular door. You need to check the clearance carefully as it moves along its slide path. There are chances of misalignment where the door, paint or body can be warped or damaged. Check the metal slide cover to see that it is not flexing in or out from a bad slide. Finally, the very cool hook and latch assembly should work. Mine did not. Colin and I had to grind on the hook with a dremel to re-cut the hook, so that it would catch, and hold the door when you want it open. On that latch assembly, the beefy one in the handle with the nice, heavy cast parts, there are many place for oil. There are even some indentations for a few drops of oil, in the flat horizontal parts. Just look at it, and you can see where it needs lubrication. Somewhere, I think there is a write up with pics, but I can't recall where I saw it. With Colin's knowledge of the door, we got it much improved, with a quite satisfying "click" when it catches at the end of the roll back. Neat stuff. Have fun.

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks Jivermo. I need the nylon slide guide as mine is nearly a 1/4 in wide in the gap. The roller wheel is also chewed up but is functionable and I can't find one alone. I'll keep you posted.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Jivermo wrote:Somewhere, I think there is a write up with pics, but I can't recall where I saw it.
Seriously?

Body & Hardware Forum
cuz slidin doors is hardware stuck on the body:

Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9144

Sliding Door Latch Refresh (late)

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9182

Sliding Door Support Roller Refresh

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9155
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles