Naranja Road Trip 2 *now w/pics

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Naranja Road Trip 2 *now w/pics

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 am

I am going to the Weisswurst Diesel Pig Diorama as I write. When the weather report said " 24* Low " for Cumming Georgia, I said, "over my dead carcass", and hit the road southbound with dispatch. Made it to Valdosta and "camped" aka suffered, I tell ya, I suffered! through a 35* night of bone-chilling foot numbing cold in my favorite Valdosta field. Did not pop the poptop, neither. That poptop is a conch shell of Interstate 75 traffic sounds, so I left it secured and camped sideways across the back seat. Well, that is what I do in a vehicle designed to accomodate four full-sized human sleepers . . .

I never did get to the Belle Plaine Commemorative vent window chrome frame replacement up in Cumming.
No, I did a lot of sanding, drywall securing, spackling, more sanding, garage door repairing, light switch mounting repairs, receptacle plate polishing, and threshhold /screen porch step securing activities. Then New Year's Eve came up and we hosted some family whose two and half year-old poor thing, ushered in the celebrations with barf. Didn't get to the window, but the two and a half year-old is feeling better I am told.

I did, however, just yesterday manage a swivelfoot adjuster installation on this 2.0 engine using my very own rocker arms. This is a new thing. Up to this point, if you wanted swivelfoot adjusters, you had to scarf up some 1.7 engine 8mm rocker arms. Now we have new 10mm swivelfoot adusters of the Porsche "elephant foot" style that let you use what you got. So, I removed all rocker shafts, replaced pushrod tube seals, and froze my butt off as I rinsed the rocker arms in gasoline after Dremel-milling the undersides down by .060" to my watery-eyed guesstimate:

uploaded April 6

Smoothed all edges for greater strength (like shot-peening connecting rods):

uploaded April 6

Then I got the stone grinding wheel and chamfered the hole by a "damn good amount" and rinsed some more and washed with a toothbrush, and got these swivelfoot adjusters to work without need for any rocker stand shims, ergo! geometry is intact!

Guess what! ( finally got pictures uploaded! April 6! -ed) I downloaded all my rocker arm pictures to the desktop! and I am here with the laptop! Use your imagination. The new swivelfoot adjusting screws have these feet, see, they look like elephant's feet, and they swivel? So anyways, imagine a rocker arm where the adjustment screw has a big swiveling foot but can recess a little into the rocker arm because there is a big countersunk beveled hole on the shiny ground-down underside. There it is, very trick.

uploaded April 6

This modification was performed to the Road Warrior's engine way back in 2002, and it really does reduce side-loading on the valve guides. Some party pooper on theSamba darkly warned that this modification prevents the valves from rotating on their seats because we no longer have a screw contacting the stem tip slightly off-center. I say, "the valves rotate yet . . . "

I will do the vent window replacement in situe.
I will rust-eradicate and paint the steps at the front doors
I will replace the vapor barriers
I will paint the garish-ass speaker covers black, flat black
I will strip the paint off the gas cap, the overspray off the sliding door and front door seals, the engine hatch rubber (all of which is close to factory fresh)
I will finish reconditioning /painting the exhaust system
I will (hope springs eternal) free up the heater cables and enjoy some heat!
I will clean the fuel filter in ten minutes (36* now, yay!)
I will remove, butyl-caulk, and replace the windshield, as it did leak at the left corner in the Great Rains of last week.
I will install new taillight seals
I will re-key the new tailgate button . . . somehow, to match my original keys.
Most importantly, I will perform an entire undercar rust stop at the Weisswurst Pig Palace.
I will not install this horrendously pitted new front emblem from Bus Depot . It looks like it has 50,000 miles of sand-blasting. I do not understand. I do not understand. I do not understand how this thing made it all the way through the supply chain:

I'll keep all six of you remaining stubborn Itinerant Air-Cooled Adherents apprised of this latest adventure.
If it goes well, this car will be available for sale by the fall. Asking price will be $20,000.00 firm and it shall be a glorious fully-functional ready-for-adventure Volkswagen Westfalia with some declared injuries duly noted, yes, but with real mechanical integrity, too!
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Naranja Westy Road Trip Two

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:16 am

You need a decent 3 season sleeping bag my friend.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mounta ... rFamily=01
79 VW Bus

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:30 am

Cold, eh? Run as you will. I am loving it, although I am noticing my fingers and toes are are increasingly less tolerant. Enjoy your sojourn deeper south and I hope to catch you on the next swing through the NE GA area.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Colin, you have a westy now, bring the down comforters and pull out the bed. There must be space for two feet amongst all the stuff behind the rear seat.
You can put my name on the 2016 itinerary just about anywhere. We'll work around it.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:39 pm

it's 2:30 andno Colin yet, heading out between work phone calls to set up his own coffee pot in the polebarn/half finished bathroom area :flower:
jeffsorrytheresnodooronyetitainttheritzherebutitflushes!
Attachments
polebarnbath.jpg
polebarnbath.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:10 pm

weisswurst wrote: jeffsorrytheresnodooronyetitainttheritzherebutitflushes!
and within reach of the fridge, you can't beat that!
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:56 am

weisswurst wrote:it's 2:30 andno Colin yet, heading out between work phone calls to set up his own coffee pot in the polebarn/half finished bathroom area :flower:
jeffsorrytheresnodooronyetitainttheritzherebutitflushes!
Ya know, Jeff, I have been setting up appointments with humans all across this great land for over fourteen years now without so much as a phone call. You know why? Because I do my very damndest to just show up on the correct date at the correct time . . . the very first step of establishing the sort of trust I hope and love to live by.

"it's 2:30 andno Colin yet," because Colin said
"How's January somewhere around 7th 8th 9th-ish as I await needed parts before I depart?
Colin
See, this allows me to PREpare, to pre-prepare, to stop in Valdosta and freeze my butt off again but get the first of my list dispatched . . . .
I will do the vent window replacement in situe.
I will rust-eradicate and paint the steps at the front doors
I will replace the vapor barriers
I will paint the garish-ass speaker covers black, flat black
I will strip the paint off the gas cap, the overspray off the sliding door and front door seals, the engine hatch rubber (all of which is close to factory fresh)
(and paint the gas cap since it was not a finished metal surface underneath the weird plastic)

It's a fine-looking cap so far, three coats of Duplicolor Aluminum 1615 followed by three coats of Duplicolor Engine Gloss Clearcoat. We can only hope that it is properly gas resistant . . .

I will finish reconditioning /painting the exhaust system
I will (hope springs eternal) free up the heater cables and enjoy some heat!
I will clean the fuel filter in ten minutes (36* now, yay!)
I will remove, butyl-caulk, and replace the windshield, as it did leak at the left corner in the Great Rains of last week.
I will install new taillight seals
I will re-key the new tailgate button . . . somehow, to match my original keys.
Seatbelt hooks, we got the nos seatbelt hooks installed . . .
Most importantly, I will perform an entire undercar rust stop at the Weisswurst Pig Palace.
Need more sun! Need more heat!
Insatiably Yours,
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:02 am

Amskeptic wrote: Ya know, Jeff, I have been setting up appointments with humans all across this great land for over fourteen years now without so much as a phone call. You know why? Because I do my very damndest to just show up on the correct date at the correct time . . . the very first step of establishing the sort of trust I hope and love to live by.

"it's 2:30 andno Colin yet," because Colin said
"How's January somewhere around 7th 8th 9th-ish as I await needed parts before I depart?
Colin
I know, I have to do one of my marathon runs south again tomorrow and wanted to say "hi" before I left before dawn Thurs.
Just check in with the head Chicken when you arrive! (just kidding the wife will be here to welcome you!)
I'll be back before you leave! :bootyshake:
jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Weird to see you selling a bus for $20k. New world order.
If you tell BD about that logo the guy is liable to poop himself.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Price should include four or five IAC annual appointments, required to be attended by buyer. I'm serious. Bump the price up a little if you have to.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:41 pm

hambone wrote:Weird to see you selling a bus for $20k. New world order.
Weird to see me selling a bus, period.
"782 photos available upon request"

Mitch, little gets by you. I have already deemed that any vehicle I should ever sell includes a full Itinerant Air-Cooled Day wrapped in the price. I would then offer an annual Itinerant Air-Cooled check-up at half-price.

I do hate the thought of letting any of my babies go off with some person who slips the clutch and whangs 2nd gear and hits the brakes late and hard and holds onto 3rd gear all the way over the crest of the hill.
My cars are relentlessly and firmly pampered through hell and high and high water . . . :drunken:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 pm

It was a biting wind today in some swampy preserve, December grey skies, my Florida my Florida, don't let me shut down in cold whinebaby resentment. Parked the car down some sandy road right across the roadway with the sliding door on the leeward side of the wind. These side reflectors will not do:

LEFT:

RIGHT:

They look terrible, but they are original Hella. Why oh why would a painter leave them on? Then bang into them with a sander? Then hit them with primer? Then paint over the primer? Then smear black crap over the paint and the primer?

Waxed the reflector-protected original paint and took several photographs to see the difference in paint hues under the flash and daylight. Will play with the photo-editing software to change hues and see which colors I have been missing in my paint-match efforts.

Beautiful original German parts under the clumsy oafishness:

HVAC foil treatment on the reflectors, why not?

Hit the lenses with a razor blade, carefully trying to scrape the black crap then crack the yellow overspray so it might flake off. Then I screeded through the grey primer until I saw black plastic come up through. Sanded with 800 grit/1,000 grit/1500 grit/2,000 grit and plenty of Tide detergent-laced water. Rubbed out with 3M Polishing compound and wax:

LEFT

RIGHT:

Then it had to rain. So I came here where there is reassuring pavement.
Tomorrow, more detail work, more more more overspray eradication . . . .
Colin
(p.s. Bus Depot has graciously:
a) sent me another front emblem
b) sent my picture of the pocked disaster emblem to Germany where hopefully scoldings will occur)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 pm

71whitewesty wrote:Colin, pull out the bed.
Can't. The ToolboxFromWhichAllBlessingsFlow sits at the sliding door opening, thus blocking sed baid.
Currently, if I move the toolbox for the bed, I lose the aisle heater and the glorious wall of toolbox that hides my shockingly sloppy disarray between the box and the cabinetry. Will update if a successful I'll Know It When I See It Feng Shui should occur.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:Weird to see you selling a bus for $20k. New world order.
Weird to see me selling a bus, period.
"782 photos available upon request"

Mitch, little gets by you. I have already deemed that any vehicle I should ever sell includes a full Itinerant Air-Cooled Day wrapped in the price. I would then offer an annual Itinerant Air-Cooled check-up at half-price.

I do hate the thought of letting any of my babies go off with some person who slips the clutch and whangs 2nd gear and hits the brakes late and hard and holds onto 3rd gear all the way over the crest of the hill.
My cars are relentlessly and firmly pampered through hell and high and high water . . . :drunken:
Ha!! So many photos of all our cars, I'm sure… It's a wonder some ads command ridiculous prices, and have a few blurry photos of nothing in particular… I'll give my bus away to some punk kid who treats it like I do when I'm too old to drive, but they'll be damn good at double clutching and maintenance before I seal the deal. :drunken: And you bet I still get to work on it and paint the wipers every year and polish the engine tin and wax the spare tire well. From my wheelchair. :pirate:

RobbieNotYet
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Nice work on those front side markers. Turned out great!
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.