Naranja Westy Road Trip - Done!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Naranja Westy Road Trip - Done!

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:00 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote: As far as physical loss, i had my undergrad student ID card from MSU in it...had kept it in my wallet for over 25 years. Student number 1103795. That bummed me out ... probably similar feeling as losing the bags you had since prep school.
It is the superior quality that I'll miss. Zippers still perfect, well-constructed.

Still RAINING. Car is wet inside and out. This Westy cloth interior has some ripeness.
The good news #1 is, I found the Belle Plaine Commemorative Right Front Vent Window Chrome Glass Frame With Functional Lock, and shall install it tomorrow raining or not.

The good news #2 is that the severe rust in the tailgate channels has not actually perforated through but it is pretty close.

The good news #3 is that I got this huge orange pumpkin wrestled into the garage by means of simple garage door disassembly, and I shall endeavor to address these rust sensitivities in the short time I have been granted. Maybe the German Hillbilly Goat n Nanny Rodeo will offer me another building marathon (I got a five day supply of socks and WalMart issue Gildan 32-34's, Jeff) down in Homosassa FL so I can stop this galloping rust.
Colin

below front lip above bumper - crusty:

new nose cone to bottom sill, water leaking through:

left a-pillar to dogleg , just a pitted water trap:

nose to right a-pillar skin poorly folded over, rust crust under:

Yeah, it goes on and on. I did get the license light freed of the paint-over and sanded/polished to Hella new look. Even the rubber:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Well that really sucks. We would recognize anyone dressed in your clothes. Part of me shudders at the thought of coming across someone trying to pull off the same style wearing your clothes. Poor bastard...
Hope the hatch gets sorted out.

Naranja is looking great by the way. Impressive work on that battery tray and windshield. I have all this ahead of me too at some point and this is inspiring.

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:21 pm

That is just rotten, Colin. What an awful thing to discover in a presumably secure storage area. Removing the Westy seems the right thing to have done. Am curious as to what the facility has to say about this.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:42 am

Pretty sad this person stole those bags but they must have been watching Storage Wars thinking there was rare stuff in there. Well, 3 wifebeaters, 2 pairs of greasy cutoffs and one grease stained hoodie is quite a score.
God damn thiefs piss me off though

They broke in thru the engine hatch?? I am trying to buy a keyed lock for that from Busok here in Holland.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:26 am

Amskeptic wrote: The good news #3 is that I got this huge orange pumpkin wrestled into the garage by means of simple garage door disassembly, and I shall endeavor to address these rust sensitivities in the short time I have been granted. Maybe the German Hillbilly Goat n Nanny Rodeo will offer me another building marathon (I got a five day supply of socks and WalMart issue Gildan 32-34's, Jeff) down in Homosassa FL so I can stop this galloping rust.
Colin
Colin , I am sorry to hear about the break in, I just can't understand how people act. :pukeright:
We would love to host you here as many times as you want and as long as you need, my wife just spoke about your visit over Christmas and she said she loved having you here and you are no trouble at all.
She even commented on how easy it is having you here and the fact that you operate in the background requiring nothing but coffee it seemed! :geek: .
The building is still clear as I have the rest of the fleet out enjoying the hot weather, :pale:
It was 86 on Christmas day here! :sunny: :pale:
Hope to see you soon!
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:33 am

weisswurst wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: The good news #3 is that I got this huge orange pumpkin wrestled into the garage by means of simple garage door disassembly, and I shall endeavor to address these rust sensitivities in the short time I have been granted. Maybe the German Hillbilly Goat n Nanny Rodeo will offer me another building marathon (I got a five day supply of socks and WalMart issue Gildan 32-34's, Jeff) down in Homosassa FL so I can stop this galloping rust.
Colin
Colin , I am sorry to hear about the break in, I just can't understand how people act. :pukeright:
We would love to host you here as many times as you want and as long as you need, my wife just spoke about your visit over Christmas and she said she loved having you here and you are no trouble at all.
She even commented on how easy it is having you here and the fact that you operate in the background requiring nothing but coffee it seemed! :geek: .
The building is still clear as I have the rest of the fleet out enjoying the hot weather, :pale:
It was 86 on Christmas day here! :sunny: :pale:
Hope to see you soon!
Jeff

Oh, and I forgot to mention we have 4 new baby pigs :flower: that just joined the farm since the other 3 pigs you like to frolic with in the morning :pirate: just graduated to a new pen out back!
You will need to come see them I am sure! :cyclopsani:
Jeff
Attachments
new piggy.jpg
new piggy.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 14890 times
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:35 am

Man, this is a rough story, compounded by the insult of that hospital bill from "Mercy" Hospital. I have little tolerance for thieves; I have put 6 of them in prison over the last 10 years. But on to the bus work-I'm somewhat puzzled by all of these problems coming to light in Naranja. Do you think the seller knew about the hidden problems that the overspray paint fiasco was covering up? Are there any suspect issues in the mechanical parts of Naranja?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:39 am

Jivermo wrote:Man, this is a rough story, compounded by the insult of that hospital bill from "Mercy" Hospital. I have little tolerance for thieves; I have put 6 of them in prison over the last 10 years.
I told the lady at the storage facility that if the crooks get caught, I want to take them on a shopping spree at WalMart. It is the least I could do for them after the trauma of unpacking my bags.
Then they can work off a new tailgate button.
Jivermo wrote: I'm somewhat puzzled by all of these problems coming to light in Naranja. Do you think the seller knew about the hidden problems that the overspray paint fiasco was covering up? Are there any suspect issues in the mechanical parts of Naranja?
The prior owner is a retired geology professor who is mechanically absent. Apparently, he or his son banged this car up one way or another on every end. Front end collision followed by another. Left rear hit. Right rear hard hit. He was at the mercy of this body/paint guy "Fred" who promised him a "surprise" after keeping the car for some six months back in the early 90's. I am sure "Fred" got accolades for the shiny first impression. Who really would have expected work performed for longevity? The great crime here is of course the shoddy work, but also the fact that this car has been infected with a three years accumulation of un-rinsed Michigan road salt just eating the car at every splintered paint spot inside and out on every humid day since 1995, garage-kept or not.

Mechanically, the car is not only sound but fresh . . . minus rust damage. So, every part is accounted for, it has supple heater tube gaskets on the engine tins, the alternator plastic cover is perfect, Inspector Otto is present under the surface rust, the emissions number is 920, every single mechanical part from the factory is present, and the deeper mechanical parts all work perfectly. This car compares the BobD as far as shifting and engine smoothness and excellent brake booster modulability.

But anywhere this car has been touched by "Fred", watch out.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:06 am

"Otto" being on one end of the spectrum, "Fred" on the other.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:23 am

Bleyseng wrote: They broke in thru the engine hatch??
???
Tailgate!
Colin

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:55 am

Juste want to add my condolences on the break in, though if they took the ratty old daisy dukes, we will all rejoice.

I'm amazed at the amount of rust issues present. From the pics, I wouldn't have guessed it to be so invasive. Just goes to show, anything from the Midwest or New England states is a tough sell.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 pm

No chance of tracking down those wifebeaters and cutoffs..theyre probably halfway to Brazil by now..carefully concealed in the padding of a carseat or something....maybe you can re-brand yourself as the Naked Itinerant
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:16 pm

dingo wrote:No chance of tracking down those wifebeaters and cutoffs..theyre probably halfway to Brazil by now..carefully concealed in the padding of a carseat or something....maybe you can re-brand yourself as the Naked Itinerant

HAW haw haw haw haw, tell you what, the new cut-offs are being seasoned as I write, right here in their current iteration as 32-31 Levis 501s. I can't pull off naked even in front of myself anymore,
"What on Earth happened to you?"
"What did you expect, Mr. I Like Panera Cinamon Rolls?"
"Put some clothes on."
"We going to Panera?"
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Naranja Westy Road Trip

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 am

airkooledchris wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:51 pm
Id be worried that the fuel filler cleanouts will be needed for a long time before it clears itself completely.
Yeah, it kinda turned out that way.
Colin :flower:

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Nobody learns nothing doing it the easy way. =)
1979 California Transporter