Press board piece in engine bay disintegrated and fell

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Press board piece in engine bay disintegrated and fell

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:34 pm

What is the tube called that is running behind the number 4 in this image (the little tube, not the heat pump thing)? My pressboard/particle board thingy holding up the insulation just broke, and is leaning on it - I don't know if I am good to drive home from work or not...

Thanks,
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Press board piece in engine bay disintegrated and fell

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:What is the tube called that is running behind the number 4 in this image (the little tube, not the heat pump thing)? My pressboard/particle board thingy holding up the insulation just broke, and is leaning on it - I don't know if I am good to drive home from work or not...

Thanks,
That ceiling line is the fuel tank vapor line. You can get home safely after removing anything friable that could get sucked into #9 the fan with that helpful arrow showing us where it goes.

You have an enjoyable project arising in redoing the ceiling panels. Think: masonite, templates, hole saws, and those weird broad washer rivets.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote: You have an enjoyable project arising in redoing the ceiling panels. Think: masonite, templates, hole saws, and those weird broad washer rivets.
Colin
"Forstner bits" for the anti-masochists in the house. :pirate:

For rivets, you can get them through Grainger. Granger. Size is 5/8" flange, 1/4" grip range, and 3/16" hole size. Westfabulous on TheSamba did extensive searching and found them to be indistinguishable from the stock rivets. He also says the vent line clips are held in with a 1/8" rivet with a 1/4" grip range. I've also heard them called "elevator rivets."

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rivets-F ... nge+rivets

Ok I'm leaving now…… :drunken:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks Colin and Robbie - just what I need is another weird project on the bus.... sigh.

It's interesting looking at different photos online of random busses, that the pressboard panels were either left plain or painted black, why the difference?
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote: That ceiling line is the fuel tank vapor line. You can get home safely after removing anything friable that could get sucked into #9 the fan with that helpful arrow showing us where it goes.
Colin
Ah well, anything friable would've been already sucked into the fan as I checked my oil before I left for work and it was intact, and it came apart whilst underweigh on the freeway,
Margaret

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1979-VW-Bu ... 0342840609

So how involved is it to install an engine compartment ceiling panel?
Margaret

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 am

Those panels are by Werksberg. He has an account here, and maybe he'll chime in.

After trying a few different materials, I personally think that a fibrous wood or padding does a better job of sound deadening than plastic. The holes increase the surface area of the original fiber-wood-masonite material, which increases the sound deadening potential. (Right now, I'm running a concoction of Dynamat on the ceiling, fibrous sound insulator matting in the middle, then masonite with 1,127 little hand-drilled holes painted black, showing. This is contrary to the 297 holes in the stock late bay masonite. :) The setup works well for me.) However, it is worth mentioning that engines can, and do get hot… ABS plastic melts between 150 and 300 degrees, depending on the concoction. It ignites just above that, based on personal tests I did last year. So you're clear with most materials for normal use, but it shouldn't exacerbate an engine fire…

I do not know all the details, but original early bays had a black solid material, and later bays had the masonite-ish boards with holes. I don't know the cutoff year, but I think the change was around 1971.

Ceiling panels can be a fun lazy afternoon project. It's the kind of thing you probably only want to do once, but you could still operate the vehicle if you don't finish.

Bored tonight, hence the verby-ness,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:36 am

This is an interesting thread. I am particularily taken by the use of the word, "whilst", which is simply a delightful choice of the rara avis type.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Jivermo wrote:This is an interesting thead. I am particularily taken by the use of the word, "whilst", which is simply a delightful choice of the rara avis type.
Indeed, particularly when paired with the word "underweigh", which I believe is commonly used for boats (like in 'weigh anchor'), and is typically two words (under weigh). Maybe E. Oregon is currently under water.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Rivets...am I drilling out old rivets before being able to install new? Bleh.
Margaret

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:54 pm

asiab3 wrote:Those panels are by Werksberg.
it is worth mentioning that engines can, and do get hot… ABS plastic melts between 150 and 300 degrees, depending on the concoction.

original early bays had a black solid material,
later bays had the masonite-ish boards with holes.
I don't know the cutoff year, but I think the change was around 1971.

I strongly recommend the original holey masonite style panels, and recommend against the plastic for its propensity to turn into napalm syrup during the fire, discharging a noxious and deadly smoke.

The original material up to 1972 was a layered tarboard that works fine until it hardens and breaks over the engine, blocking off air flow to the fan.

The 1972 buses used metal grating, the 1973 and on buses switched to the holey masonite.

Maybe the holey masonite really does mix up and attenuate sound waves, but I think maybe it just allows collapsed pieces to not block the fan input.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:03 pm

I used standard peg board from any home improvement store for a replacement when I rebuilt my engine. This was painted silver on one side. I thought it might add a little more light to the engine bay. The white painted stuff might be good too.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks Jasan, did you use your old one as a pattern? And since my engine is still currently residing in the engine compartment, exactly how many swear words will I need to accomplish this project?
Margaret

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:23 pm

satchmo wrote:
Jivermo wrote:This is an interesting thead. I am particularily taken by the use of the word, "whilst", which is simply a delightful choice of the rara avis type.
Indeed, particularly when paired with the word "underweigh", which I believe is commonly used for boats (like in 'weigh anchor'), and is typically two words (under weigh). Maybe E. Oregon is currently under water.

Tim
Eastern Oregon blew away in the wind the other day - we're back on the wet side of the state, Having sailed all my life and use sailing skills in guiding Emily down the road (that "cardboard box in the wind" behavior you know) in sketchy conditions made the under weigh (typed underweigh in a hurry on my phone) reference apt. :drunken:
Margaret

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:Thanks Jasan, did you use your old one as a pattern? And since my engine is still currently residing in the engine compartment, exactly how many swear words will I need to accomplish this project?

Yes the old one that was falling apart I used as a template and cut with a jigsaw. I'm sure it will be a little more difficult with the engine in but shouldn't be too much trouble. There's quite a bit of room above still with the engine in. I don't remember any rivets on mine. Maybe they changed to screws on the later years.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.