I? Now? Own? A? Westy??

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: I? Now? Own? A? Westy??

Post by Jivermo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Curled lip, steely stare...I've seen those so much, I can't recall all of the incidents or heavily scrutinized blunders. Next time the copper. I already said I liked doing it.

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:38 am

So I'm a little confused ... Colin, are you saying the Ultra Copper is good or bad because of the tackiness? My concern is that knowing that the exhaust system should be assembled loosely and then tightened progressively, will the sealer allow me the time to get everything put together, shift things around, before the final tightening? There are soooo many pieces and soooo many flanges involved!

[Sorry, this is starting to hijack the thread. Admin, please feel free to move.]
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:54 am

phaedrus76 wrote:So I'm a little confused ...
Welcome.
phaedrus76 wrote: Colin, are you saying the Ultra Copper is good or bad because of the tackiness?
I was saying to Jivermo that I remember (correctly or incorrectly I could not remember, see: confused) red rtv, which is not capable of handling the extreme temperatures of an air-cooled engine's exhaust.

Ultra Copper is a very capable sealant which keeps working even after it gets overheated. While the directions suggest that we assemble before it cures, I have allowed that stuff to cure overnight, then apply a surface coat during assembly, this for badly bowed flanges, and for those annoying mesh donut gaskets found on Type 1 engines and on the late bus muffler inlets.
Colin
(tacky (tackhey) in this instance referred to the decision to use it and omg the color clash . . . :blackeye: )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:32 pm

If I have a big enough pile of parts coming in from Bus Depot and Wolfsburg West, I will load them, some paint, the tool box, and a sleeping bag, into the Naranja Westy and hit the road south to Homosassa at least, maybe Jacksonville if it is not too cold, and I will do some badly needed/wanted roadside refreshes. This mini-lap would depend on just enough billable work to pay for gas and help me through a bad cash crunch that I brought down upon my head. You shudda seen that Visa bill, the kind where you laugh out loud,
"What, did they send you . . . a joke?"
"Oh yes, yes they did."
"Well tell it then."
"NOooo, it is an inside joke I'm not sure you would understand."
Colin

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:01 pm

$20 min payments will have that paid off before you know it. And, it looks like they did give you 3 years to make a payment.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:10 pm

When you gonna be at Jeff's place?

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:16 am

I guess one would be the Loser of the universe if they suddenly owed $161K at 29.99%
1979 California Transporter

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:36 am

airkooledchris wrote:I guess one would be the Loser of the universe if they suddenly owed $161K at 29.99%
But hey, it looks like they gave him three years to pay it off.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Looks like a computer slipped a bit. I think my heart would slip a bit if I got something like that in the mail though.

Thanks for the recommendation to use the Ultra Copper, asiab3 and Colin. I've seen talk about using that Wurth product and others like it, but never enough detail to convince me to use it.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:21 pm

phaedrus76 wrote:Thanks for the recommendation to use the Ultra Copper, asiab3 and Colin. I've seen talk about using that Wurth product and others like it, but never enough detail to convince me to use it.
I'll probably buy some with my next chemical order. The RTV has also been useful around the house. I'll have a harder time collecting repair money from my landlord if he finds out I'm using "Muffler Assembly Paste!"

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Jivermo wrote:When you gonna be at Jeff's place?

yes! when are you coming? my Bosch masters have me running around alot in Florida this month and I DON'T want to miss you
(not that I need to be here, I just WANT to!)
The wife is excited to show you her "new to her" bug, me I'm still terrified of that gas powered thing in the back of it! :scratch:
I will prep your quarters and the big ole building tomorrow while consuming a case of beer....
The Guinea hens miss you Colin.... :pirate:
jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:07 pm

yondermtn wrote:$20 min payments will have that paid off before you know it. And, it looks like they did give you 3 years to make a payment.
Ya ol' Eagle Eyes you, good catch. I will have to correct that.

Yeah, so Day Eight of working on the Westy included my special proprietary procedures to make a car look better than it really is.

#1) your car will look unexpectedly better if you sharpen every single contrasting edge. That means you must clean the windows all the way to the rubber edge. On Naranja Westy, there is overspray everywhere. I spent the afternoon with a brand new razor blade and a bottle of glass cleaner to do a wet-rake of all glass to lift off the overspray. I also heartlessly removed the 1979 Michigan's Parks sticker and the Allstate Road Service sticker from the inside of the windshield. I like to see out. The razor blade had orange and grey run-off on every single piece of glass. Now the car has a sparkle . . . except where the dunce who melted the turn indicator lenses with the power sander also ripped into the windshield glass and the priceless original outer scrapers, truly unbelievably sloppy.

#2 by all means wax every painted surface inside the vehicle and buff out to the edges, no remnant wax. I only got as far as the . . . intake plenum and heater outlets up front and the front doors. If you are going to roll a large orange pumpkin, you gotta have that orange doing its orange thing.

If I get my exhaust parts from Bus Depot - (back-ordered! how come you never get to know about out-of-stock parts until AFTER you have completed your order and committed to your expedited $hipping that is useless if you don't get all the parts? - I shall introduce Naranja to my field improvement program on the road south to Florida.
Colin

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:19 pm

What kind of wax are you using Colin?
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:58 pm

jimbear wrote:What kind of wax are you using Colin?
I use 3M Polishing Compound as needed, followed by Mothers California Gold Cleaner/Wax as necessary, and Mothers California Gold Carnauba Wax as the maintenance wax:

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:56 am

Thank you sir. Turns out I am on the same polish/wax page as you except for the cleaner/wax. Thank you sir.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup