Build Your Own VW Bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Build Your Own VW Bus

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:16 pm

But first you need to cough up $5,999.00.
This, I cannot believe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1776610
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Build Your Own VW Bus

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Maybe he meant $599.00? lol

Odd that it appears to have 71 rims on it and he mentioned it comes with a dual port? Wonder if it's a 71?

So, the real question is what's this worth? If...IF, it has all it's parts, I'd say $1500 to $2k since it's straight and relatively rust free from what we can see in his pictures..

What say others on it's value?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:15 pm

can we say asset bubble? looking at the other buses they have on sale, heck, Tripod should fetch close to 10k... and I know it isn't worth that. Seems like they are asking 5k for project buses
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:02 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Maybe he meant $599.00? lol

Odd that it appears to have 71 rims on it and he mentioned it comes with a dual port? Wonder if it's a 71?

So, the real question is what's this worth? If...IF, it has all it's parts, I'd say $1500 to $2k since it's straight and relatively rust free from what we can see in his pictures..

What say others on it's value?
It IS a 1971 bus. It has flared fenders. It has perforated silver wheels that came with the disk brakes and composite rear drums. He probably saw the door jam sticker with a late fall 1970 build date.

I will email him . . . and suggest that he inform himself better as well as recommend that he put his greed back in his pants. That thing needs work and if he doesn't do it, he cannot charge as though he did.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Amskeptic wrote: It IS a 1971 bus. It has flared fenders.
I love learning new things Colin. I wasn't aware of the rear finder flares. I wonder why they changed that? Interesting.

The one thing that bus has going for it is it's originality, if it has all the parts too. With the bus being fairly dry and rust free, it also adds value to it as well. I'd want to see pictures of under it, in the fender wells, etc..

We see SSOO many folks restoring RRRUUUSSSTTTYYYY buses (only a small portion finish the work) that burns up hundreds of hours and many dollars vs. starting with a bus like this only requiring a little welding. The more I think about this, he may get that price from someone on the east coast or Europe. It only takes someone one time (like me and my then rusty 69 vert) to restore a rusty VW to learn it would of been worth spending a few thousand dollars more to start with a non-rusty version.

I just cut the rust out of the back of my front tire wheel wells. I had to fabricate patches, remove and treat the rust inside the panels and then weld the patches on. Doing the final body work, painting and then undercoating it required close to 20 hours of my labor. Now, mind you, I'm not the fastest at body work but I bet a body shop would of easily charged $1500 to $2k to do that work.

I guess all I'm saying is, to me, a virtually rust free bus that's straight and complete is worth several thousand dollars more than a complete, running rusty one. It would be interesting to learn what he sells it for.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 am

wcfvw69 wrote: a) I wasn't aware of the rear finder flares. I wonder why they changed that?

b) he may get that price from someone on the east coast or Europe.
b) Indeed he might. Maybe I am just old and cranky.

a) Think about it . . . why did they flare out the rear fenders the first year of the new 5 1/2 J rims with radial tires?
Colin :flower:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:a) Think about it . . . why did they flare out the rear fenders the first year of the new 5 1/2 J rims with radial tires?
...because they thought it looked cooler that way? :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!