Turning a Rat into a Thing of Beauty

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Turning a Rat into a Thing of Beauty

Post by Lanval » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:28 pm

When Colin left earlier this summer, we talked about the nature of my engine; you can see those comments in the itinerary, but they amount to this: I need to become "one" with my engine's running system. I need to know it. The proximate cause of this is that the operation of the engine drifts, and in order to keep it running smoothly, Hard starts and rough running are mostly features that can be ameliorated through an understanding of the function of the AFM and its attendant features ~ idle adjustment, un-metered air valve, etc.

I promised a blow-by-blow of my trip to Oregon in the van, but didn't do it. Here's why; an hour and a half after I left, the van died in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the freeway, stranding me amidst angry, shouting drivers. It eventually restarted, and I discovered that my van will, if the engine/engine compartment gets hot enough, shut off for about 10 minutes.

This created an enormous amount of stress during my trip, and undercut much of the good feeling I had regarding it. I was able to run in the heat of the San Fernando Valley during the day, but I did it by maintaining 60+ mph (air vents supplying 100 degree air to the engine compartment) and running the front and rear heaters on full. I can't take my family on a trip like that. 100+ degrees and the heater on?! I had to decide if it was time to let it go, or time to dig in.

I've opted, thus far, for dig in. This thread is going to be the place where I keep track of what I'm doing as I ask for help with different elements that I need to work on. Here's my list of things to do, and what is on-deck for that:

Clean top, replace seal
* have new seal, need to find space to do it
Leaking oil plug
*have new filter and crush washer for plug
*may need to use a slightly larger drain bolt to rethread the bottom and seal the leak (see earlier post about the drain threads)

(to be continued...)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Turning a Rat into a Thing of Beauty

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:24 am

Lanval wrote:When Colin left earlier this summer, we talked about the nature of my engine; you can see those comments in the itinerary, but they amount to this: I need to become "one" with my engine's running system. I need to know it. The proximate cause of this is that the operation of the engine drifts, and in order to keep it running smoothly, Hard starts and rough running are mostly features that can be ameliorated through an understanding of the function of the AFM and its attendant features ~ idle adjustment, un-metered air valve, etc.

I promised a blow-by-blow of my trip to Oregon in the van, but didn't do it. Here's why; an hour and a half after I left, the van died in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the freeway, stranding me amidst angry, shouting drivers. It eventually restarted, and I discovered that my van will, if the engine/engine compartment gets hot enough, shut off for about 10 minutes.

This created an enormous amount of stress during my trip, and undercut much of the good feeling I had regarding it. I was able to run in the heat of the San Fernando Valley during the day, but I did it by maintaining 60+ mph (air vents supplying 100 degree air to the engine compartment) and running the front and rear heaters on full. I can't take my family on a trip like that. 100+ degrees and the heater on?! I had to decide if it was time to let it go, or time to dig in.

I've opted, thus far, for dig in. This thread is going to be the place where I keep track of what I'm doing as I ask for help with different elements that I need to work on. Here's my list of things to do, and what is on-deck for that:

Clean top, replace seal
* have new seal, need to find space to do it
Leaking oil plug
*have new filter and crush washer for plug
*may need to use a slightly larger drain bolt to rethread the bottom and seal the leak (see earlier post about the drain threads)

(to be continued...)
Pictures!
Glad you had a splendid adventure to Oregon with exciting challenges!
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:20 am

Curious what vehicle you are driving?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:17 am

Mike Boell wrote:Curious what vehicle you are driving?
I know, I know, without pictures, we are all in the dark, except that it is a beige-y 1985 Vanagon GL Westy.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11556#p201707

His pictures are all DEAD, mine still WORK . . .
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Mike Boell wrote:Curious what vehicle you are driving?
I know, I know, without pictures, we are all in the dark, except that it is a beige-y 1985 Vanagon GL Westy.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11556#p201707

His pictures are all DEAD, mine still WORK . . .
Colin

Love those wheels. 16 inch steelies from Van Cafe or GoWesty or?
1979 California Transporter