Emotional day - sold our Westy (please don't flame me)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Emotional day - sold our Westy (please don't flame me)

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Only you and your family know and understand why you chose to sell your bus. We all get VERY emotionally connected to these VW's, especially when family memories are involved. It is, at the end of the day, a vehicle to get us from point A to point B.. Junk yards are littered w/used up vehicles that surved there purpose.

Sometimes we tire of the quirks, maintenance, lousy new parts and the expense of driving/using 40+ year old cars. Maybe a break from them was in your cards. When the time or emotion is right, there will always be another VW looking to be loved again and join a good family.

I know these darn VW's get under your skin. We had a bug in the early 70's that was passed down thru us kids. It was a beater by the time the last one drove it. I sold it in my early 20's and regret it to this day. I simply had no where to store it or fix it at the time. My first car was a 69 bug. I "tried" to get away from VW's in the late 80's when I sold the bug and bought "gasp" a Toyota Supra. By the late 90's, I couldn't fight off my addiction any longer and bought a 69 convertible. I have three old VW's now..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:00 am

yondermtn wrote: My wife is on me to sell our Westy this summer. Ugh :pale:
A) Open up some 1899 on her.
"Woman, I am the Man of the House, and it is solely I who shall deem and determine when any or all property is to be acquired or dispensed herewith as I deign proper and or necessary.
Do I make myself incontrovertibly clear?"

B) Now button up your fireproof suit. Wait for the blowback to diminish.

C) "Aw honey, I was just kidding, but I am keeping the Westy."

h t h,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:Only you and your family know and understand why you chose to sell your bus. We all get VERY emotionally connected to these VW's, especially when family memories are involved. It is, at the end of the day, a vehicle to get us from point A to point B.. Junk yards are littered w/used up vehicles that surved there purpose.

Sometimes we tire of the quirks, maintenance, lousy new parts and the expense of driving/using 40+ year old cars. Maybe a break from them was in your cards. When the time or emotion is right, there will always be another VW looking to be loved again and join a good family.

I know these darn VW's get under your skin. We had a bug in the early 70's that was passed down thru us kids. It was a beater by the time the last one drove it. I sold it in my early 20's and regret it to this day. I simply had no where to store it or fix it at the time. My first car was a 69 bug. I "tried" to get away from VW's in the late 80's when I sold the bug and bought "gasp" a Toyota Supra. By the late 90's, I couldn't fight off my addiction any longer and bought a 69 convertible. I have three old VW's now..
After 2.5hrs in Seattle's downtown rush hour in the Westy we were ready to jump into another newer car. The Ghia is apart and the 914 is getting some repairs but three aircooled is a pain sometimes....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Bleyseng wrote: After 2.5hrs in Seattle's downtown rush hour in the Westy we were ready to jump into another newer car.
OH YOU POOR DEAR, was it TIRING to step on the tippy-toe clutch and power disc brake pedal while you get to survey the surrounding traffic from that nice chair high seat?

Come to where the real men hang out . . . Baltimore MD to Norfolk VA via the Washington Beltway spaghetti junction rebuilding project to to the I-95 southbound construction 2-lane blockage to Frederick then out to I-64 east on a Friday afternoon in a 1970 Real Man 4 wheel drum brake 44 net hp bus from 4:30PM to 9:00PM. That'll put some quadraceps on ya, ya pansy. Gave me calf tremors and an attitude. And a tic, a tic, a tic, a tic
Colin :blackeye:

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:26 pm

4.5hrs? I would have stopped for dinner somewhere....
I was with my wife and she didn't want to stop at a bar or cafe so we pressed on. Well, more like sat with the engine off on 5th Ave until there was a opening on the right so I could dash up the street to get on 2nd Ave which was worse as it's now only 2 lanes as they made a bike lane and a bus lane. God, no bikes in sight but they need a freakin lane!!! ARGH, I hate City Planners....Sat there for a long while with the engine off slowly coasting down the grade one car length at a time. :angryfire:
Geoff

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:Only you and your family know and understand why you chose to sell your bus. We all get VERY emotionally connected to these VW's, especially when family memories are involved. It is, at the end of the day, a vehicle to get us from point A to point B.. Junk yards are littered w/used up vehicles that surved there purpose.

After 2.5hrs in Seattle's downtown rush hour in the Westy we were ready to jump into another newer car. The Ghia is apart and the 914 is getting some repairs but three aircooled is a pain sometimes....
I was in Seattle last summer with the GF who grew up there. We were visiting her mother. OMG.. They need to line up all the previous politicans from the last 30 years from the city and state. They then need to line them up and shoot them w/a firing squad. That city has THE WORSE traffic I've EVER experienced. I've spent lots of time in LA, Phoenix, Atlanta but wow... Have they done ANY freeway widening in the past 30 years? Maybe consider building some additional freeways? What a cluster DUCK of horrific future growth planing by clearly incompetent, retarded, short sighted morons...

OK... I feel better. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:41 am

All the Freeway money has gone to the Eastside (Microsoft) and to rebuild I-405 thru Bellevue ( now there is 5 lanes plus a bus/carpool). 5 times in the last 20 years they have rebuilt the lanes, added lanes, new entrances/exits and overpasses. But Seattle has gotten very few bucks to repair or expand the one Freeway thru the city. Lately they built (took away a lane) for bike lanes everywhere. I guess maybe in 20 years the bike lanes will be used but now Argh!!! Between 3-6pm forget driving thru downtown of the city as it's dead stopped.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 am

Bleyseng wrote:All the Freeway money has gone to the Eastside (Microsoft) and to rebuild I-405 thru Bellevue ( now there is 5 lanes plus a bus/carpool). 5 times in the last 20 years they have rebuilt the lanes, added lanes, new entrances/exits and overpasses. But Seattle has gotten very few bucks to repair or expand the one Freeway thru the city. Lately they built (took away a lane) for bike lanes everywhere. I guess maybe in 20 years the bike lanes will be used but now Argh!!! Between 3-6pm forget driving thru downtown of the city as it's dead stopped.
I'll take the west coast any any any day of the week. Try roads laid out in the 1700-1800s. Add centuries of ice heaves and spring melt onto roadways only grudgingly allowed through people's backyards. Eastern cities use the old horse and carriage spoke layout. Old diagonal shortcuts that used to be in the countryside now are insane intersections through city scrum. Boston has three hundred year old buildings that no one is going to tear down, so the streets are carriage gauge one ways. Atlanta has old spoke street layout + pretensions of parkways + imbecilic city planners, yet, I'll take Atlanta over Philadelphia, and I will take Philadelphia over Boston. Boston is ground zero for city driving hell.

Seattle's claim to fame in my book is that the drivers are unusually distracted and hurried. I prefer L.A. rush hour commuters over everyone else as far as intelligence, New York is second, and Seattle and all of New Jersey duke it out for last place.
Colin :cyclopsani:

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:57 am

Bleyseng wrote: Lately they built (took away a lane) for bike lanes everywhere. I guess maybe in 20 years the bike lanes will be used but now Argh!!! Between 3-6pm forget driving thru downtown of the city as it's dead stopped.
Umm, okay, so get a bike. :cherry: Get ahead of the crowd.
Get one with class, though, like a Rivendell
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett