Thoughts...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

72Hardtop
Old School!

Thoughts...

Post by 72Hardtop » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Alright gents...

Have come across an oil leak that I may have resolved but would like some thoughts from others. I'll start with what I originally found:

My new Bosch SVDA had oil on the bottom side closest to #4 tin then running down onto case then further down. I also noticed the inside of my fan shroud as having a misting of oil coating. I pulled the distributor and noted that it has excess up/down movement on the shaft which is likely allowing oil to move up the shaft and into the bottom of the distributor. At this point the oil makes it's way out at it's lowest point (1) of the (4) holes 90 degrees apart from another bottom of distributor.

So I pull my Pertronix SVDA out (no play in shaft) and install it and set timing to 28 degrees full BTDC at ~3200rpm's. I've driven the bus a bit over 100+ miles and have no more oil exiting the bottom of distributor.

I then clean the best I could the inner portion of the shroud using some carb cleaner. Since then I've noted no (shiny) oil appearance of any sort. Wiped all other areas up the best I could. But I admit I was not able to get the upper inner part of the shroud due to it's position and getting a decent shot at it with the carb cleaner. After haven wiped/cleaned everything up (engine cold) I noted this (below pictures) after the bus had sat undisturbed for 24+ hours.

At this point I'm leaning at the likelihood of it just being some residual oil that I missed that's making it's way down overtime (gravity).

Crawled under today with small mirror and I checked the backside of the fan and it looks dry as does the fan seal face & a/c pulley which only has ~ 13,XXX miles since installation (fan seal).

The leak from the Bosch SVDA appears to have ran down the case then into the shroud via where it mates to the case on the lower driver-side case>shroud bolt.

I've also confirmed the following:

1. oil pressure switch + clean & dry

2. oil cooler = clean & dry

3. oil flange + clean & dry

4. breather tower = clean & dry

5. galley plugs are all tapped threaded, nothing noted there but some grime as always.

6. dipstick boot = Viton clean & dry

7. engine mounts = clean & dry

8. oil pump = clean & dry
Attachments
oil found 2.JPG
Location of oil found. The darker area is where some paint was removed when cleaning inner shroud with carb cleaner.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

72Hardtop
Old School!

Re: Thoughts...

Post by 72Hardtop » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Amount of oil noted:

Keep in mind this was after haven been cleaned up and sat for 24+ hours.
Attachments
oil found.JPG
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 pm

So you cleaned it up, didn't start the engine, and more leaked out? I think that rules out the nearby gallery plugs.
72Hardtop wrote:…new Bosch SVDA…
How new? The oil port in one of my distributors didn't line up once, and oil intended for the distributor shaft made its way up and past the o-ring and down the side of the case. If this happened with the installation of this distributor, you may be on to something.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I installed the distributor just prior to my last 2924 mile trip. It was during the trip I first noticed it. The distributor is only 3-4 months old perhaps. I do have some shims that I'm going to use to take out the play. As for the oil port on the shaft it does line up with the case port once seated. The o-ring I used was new from Aircooled.net. In fact, I swapped it out during my trip thinking perhaps the other was somehow boinked...it wasn't though upon close examination of it.

That's what's odd I had really wiped that down well and ended up finding that small amount after just sitting 24+ hours. Bus is parked fairly level. My only guess is that some oil that I wasn't able to get cleaned out is making it's way down. That's the only place I've come across it (circle in pic).

I can also see the face of the fan seal and it is dry. So is the a/c pulley that sits in front of it. As well as everything below it which can be somewhat noted in the picture above. The only area I used carb cleaner on was the inner shroud from shooting short burst into the from the screen side being careful not get it all over the shroud. Did not us any cleaner on the exterior side front or back, just clean dry rag.
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Not a picture of my engine but the route I'm certain my distributor leak was taking...follow the shaded green color from the bottom of distributor where it ends is where it can be drawn into the shroud. The colored area where the shroud bolts does still appear to have oil residue on it when viewed from below. Of course this is also the area I've not clean.

As stated earlier the area around the fan hub and a/c pulley is dry as is the back side of the fan. No oil is present on the oil pump cover as well (top or bottom), motor mounts clean & dry, mustache bar clean & dry, oil cooler is dry, oil filter and flange are dry, no oil around oil pressure switch, base of distributor is clean & dry since installing the Pertronix SVDA.
Attachments
oil leak route.JPG
Oil leak route
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 am

72Hardtop wrote:Not a picture of my engine but the route I'm certain my distributor leak was taking...follow the shaded green color from the bottom of distributor where it ends is where it can be drawn into the shroud. The colored area where the shroud bolts does still appear to have oil residue on it when viewed from below. Of course this is also the area I've not clean.

As stated earlier the area around the fan hub and a/c pulley is dry as is the back side of the fan. No oil is present on the oil pump cover as well (top or bottom), motor mounts clean & dry, mustache bar clean & dry, oil cooler is dry, oil filter and flange are dry, no oil around oil pressure switch, base of distributor is clean & dry since installing the Pertronix SVDA.
Residual oil takes time to disappear.

I have an annoying oil leak in the BobD, since 50,000 miles, coming from the oil filter mount where it bolts to the case. That little gasket does not have enough surface area to keep all of that raging oil pressure contained. It causes a drool down to the relief valve screw and of course, blows around the fan housing underway.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles