one way trip in Tripod

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

one way trip in Tripod

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:07 pm

Take the bus camping this weekend for the first time in three years. She was running great, until she didn't. :(

I'm fairly certain the fuel pump died. Noticed it was making that high pitched whine when we arrived at our destination and made a mental note that I would need to change that post haste. Something told me I should fire her up on Saturday to see if she would run. Would idle for about 10 seconds and then die. Fortunately our friends had their 3/4 ton pickup...and even more fortunately the uhaul place 20 min up the road had a car dolly for $50. :cheers: I had to pull the muffler to ensure enough clearance when it was on the ramp, other than that, no issues.

I have to pull the motor anyways...it's got a pretty good oil leak going on at the front of the engine, suspect it is one of those plugged casting holes.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: one way trip in Tripod

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:29 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Take the bus camping this weekend for the first time in three years. She was running great, until she didn't. :(

I'm fairly certain the fuel pump died. Noticed it was making that high pitched whine when we arrived at our destination and made a mental note that I would need to change that post haste. Something told me I should fire her up on Saturday to see if she would run. Would idle for about 10 seconds and then die. Fortunately our friends had their 3/4 ton pickup...and even more fortunately the uhaul place 20 min up the road had a car dolly for $50. :cheers: I had to pull the muffler to ensure enough clearance when it was on the ramp, other than that, no issues.

I have to pull the motor anyways...it's got a pretty good oil leak going on at the front of the engine, suspect it is one of those plugged casting holes.
I sure am late to this thread here in the Type 2 forum . . . but a whining fuel pump deserves a filter change first. Many a whiner that is about to die from internal overheat just needs an unobstructed flow of clean gasoline. Since i am late to the party, do you have the old filter around to cut, to inspect, to report, to the readership?
ColinInReddingCA
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles