Type4 Thermostat

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jtauxe
Addicted!

Re: Type4 Thermostat

Post by jtauxe » Thu May 19, 2016 7:23 am

I recently had fun testing my thermostat in the vehicle. I hit it with a heat gun and measured temperature with an infrared heat thermometer "gun" thing. The thermostat opens at 60-65 deg C, which seems about right.

I also could not resist getting one of these thermostats offered by BusDepot:
http://www.busdepot.com/111119159a

Not yet installed, but it is German VW. Interesting that your failed, luftvagon. Ha, and now it's $140 and on "sale".
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 am

Interesting. I wonder where they found those. VW 'stats. Awesome Powdercoat has been making good thermostats for a while, for cheaper, with a warranty. It will be interesting to see which lasts longer; my 43-year-old VW 'stat gave up last month.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Thu May 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Peculiar timing. I just took of the busdepot Wahler thermostat for rebuild. Rebuild was easy. I just wished I squished it a bit more, and heated it up a bit more for extra squish. This made an amazing difference in how the van starts. It really helps with cold starts!!! It also helps with warmup enrichment, or getting out of it faster, and most amazingly it helps with getting the right tune dialed it.

If your thermostat is broken! FIX IT!!! Now I am ordering the Awesome unit, and I am just mad at myself I didnt order it last week. The van and I will be on the road for the next few days, and it would've been perfect to dial in the rest of the fuel map.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 20, 2016 3:32 am

I like my Awesome thermostat. Why mess around with something that is so important for an air cooled engine? His product is a bargain, and a real work of art. Wish all our parts suppliers cared like this guy evidently does.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:21 am

Jivermo wrote:I like my Awesome thermostat. Why mess around with something that is so important for an air cooled engine? His product is a bargain, and a real work of art. Wish all our parts suppliers cared like this guy evidently does.
Awesome Powdercoat's thermostats are awesome. His awesome powdercoating order I made was not awesome sandblasted properly, and there is grit embedded in most of the tin. The gasket-securing tab in the T1 valve covers is not awesome welded properly, snapping off every other cover I've seen of his. (3 out of six.)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:48 am

Awesome has some subawesome stuff going on? That is a drag to hear.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:52 am

If your thermostat is broken! FIX IT!!!

procedure ? pics ? (or is it already posted somewhere)
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri May 20, 2016 12:58 pm

dingo wrote:
If your thermostat is broken! FIX IT!!!

procedure ? pics ? (or is it already posted somewhere)
Ratwell has a brief description here
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sat May 28, 2016 5:58 am

The last time my thermostat failed I found a type1 and modified it using a bicycle rear derailleur cable. It is still holding strong but if or when it fails I will perform a repair that is posted here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... thermostat

I actually have 2 sitting in my pile of parts so I even have some for the learning curve.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 29, 2016 5:50 am

Mulcheese wrote:The last time my thermostat failed I found a type1 and modified it using a bicycle rear derailleur cable. It is still holding strong but if or when it fails I will perform a repair that is posted here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... thermostat

I actually have 2 sitting in my pile of parts so I even have some for the learning curve.
Dang ol' Volkswagen engineers have a reason for everything. I, too, have the bug 60-65º Wahler installed on Naranja, and I can tell you, it is not enough. I can't get this engine hot enough to boil off the moisture in the oil.

Perhaps I will spring for the Barely Awesome Enough tstat.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:04 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mulcheese wrote:The last time my thermostat failed I found a type1 and modified it using a bicycle rear derailleur cable. It is still holding strong but if or when it fails I will perform a repair that is posted here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... thermostat

Dang ol' Volkswagen engineers have a reason for everything. I, too, have the bug 60-65º Wahler installed on Naranja, and I can tell you, it is not enough. I can't get this engine hot enough to boil off the moisture in the oil.

Colin
I could never get the yogurt out of BB's crankcase once the 40-year-old 'stat failed. I went HARD on it for a few days after cleaning the cap, and it still showed it's milky head again.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 30, 2016 1:36 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
I could never get the yogurt out of BB's crankcase once the 40-year-old 'stat failed. I went HARD on it for a few days after cleaning the cap, and it still showed it's milky head again.

Robbie
I have ways . . . :cyclopsani:

Nothing like a nice nine hour freeway pull in the left lane . . . except #2 exhaust indeed has lost two hours of adjustment since I left Florida. If it ain't one damn thing, it's another with these balancing-act air-cooled engines.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 am

Last time I checked High Performance House in Redwood City had a box of good stats......I bought a Nos one in Germany last trip. Yes, the bug ones are too cold.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:15 am

Got the thermostat installed.. A small modification was required to the stock thermostat mount. The guide hole had to be enlarged by a few mm. In the mean time i also enlarged the tin hole because the cable was rubbing. Groovy. Tested the thermostat, and it works. Time will tell if it lasts, and at $149, it better last for 30 years.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

aerosurfer
I'm New!

Post by aerosurfer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:22 am

I have been running a type 1 t-stat for the last few years. My original one gave out and this was in my stash already. Changed the union nut and used picture hanging wire for the cable to the flaps and have had no issues at all. If I come across an original one someday, it'll go back on I guess
77 Westy deluxe